What's new
What's new

V type sheet metal brake

snowman

Diamond
Lots of questions tonight. A productive day in the shop has the tendency to motivate me towards more projects. Almost finished with the CNC router, only need to mount Y axis and build Z axis (4 hours work hopefully)

4 more days of vacation too!

How do I determine how many tons it takes to bend a piece of sheetmetal with a V type brake? For conversations sake, we'll say I want to bend 12 gauge stainless to 90 degrees, over 12" of length.

-Jacob

Ok, in a previous thread of similar topic:
here

Ries gave a link to Foremost Bantam. They suggest at least 6.4 tons/foot for 12 gauage mild steel, however stainless will require more pressure, correct?

-Jacob

Gawd those Bantam presses are sweet! When is Christmas????!? A 4' - 24T might just fit under the tree :D I guess these are: if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.... :rolleyes:

All jesting aside, Diacro has a tonnage table in the manual for its 24" press brake [gloat: I happen to have]. It is an 8 page .pdf so not abominable. See page 4, they quote at the bottom SS should add 50% more tonnage than mild steel.

http://www.diacro.com/pdf/obsolete/16-24_Press_Brake_Manual.pdf

Foremost has a good discussion of additional shut height for bending boxes, if you need that, there's a little description at the end of the page.

-Matt

4 hours...yah right.

But, all I have to do is hook up the Y axis leadscrew. Finished the Z axis today (still have to mount the router).

I'll post pictures tomorrow...no action pics yet though. Have to wait til Tuesday for my 3rd gecko.

-Jacob

Back