What's new
What's new

Slightly OT, Where to get Benzine?

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
Etalon recommends cleaning your precision Swiss made micrometers with a solution called Benzine.
Google produces a ton of info on it, but it's still hard to determine where to buy this product.
There was also a term, spelled "benzEne", and I'm not sure if this is a similar product, or something totally different.
Any help in finding this stuff, would be appreciated...

I wouldn't have anything to do with anything that sounds like benzene. Really nasty.

Most common good cleaner is IsoPropyl Alcohol..There was 20gal for sale on Craigslist in Boulder.

Chris P

Don't uses acetone to clean your dial calipers. Where I used to work a guy's cals went out for cal. and they ruined the dial cover by wiping with acetone - cluoded it and caused a delay in getting them back in. IPA (or sometimes simply called propanol) is the best solution - it won't harm you like any -one (keytone, acetone) or -ine (benzine which is in gasoline) named chemicals will.

From Long Island Indicator's website:

"Etalon writes, "Every micrometer is supplied ready for use and inspected. However, since they might get out of adjustment during transportation, we [Etalon] advise to check the zero-setting before use. We also firmly advise our customers not to dismantle the instruments needlessly. They need only be cleaned using pure BENZINE and periodically lubricated with a few drops of high quality purified oil. Check the zero-setting as often as necessary. The guarantee does not cover new measuring instruments dismantled by customers"

-Why would Etalon recommend using a chemical that is "really nasty" as bcstractor above states??
Not arguing with anyone, just curious here. SO, are we saying that benzene, and benzIne are the same chemical, or different creatures?
I assumed that benzine had to be a mild solution, similar to something like contact lens cleaners/eyeglasses cleaners.... No? I mean, IF you're putting it on your high dollar precision Swiss micrometer, then it can't be that nasty.

I also read on Long Island Indicator's site somewhere, that they recommended the use of Naphtha, to clean some measuring instruments.
What do you guys think about this?

So far, it looks like Isopropyl alcohol is the preferred choice here???

BenzIne is another term for petroleum ether. Essentially naphtha or lighter fluid. A generic term for a mixture of light alkane hydrocarbons including pentane, hexane, and heptane. A good (if flammable) cleaning solvent.

BenzEne is a cyclic aromatic hydrocarbon, C6H6, which is a known carcinogen (causes leukemia). That's the one to avoid at all costs....

Every watchmaker has a "benzine cup" on the bench for quick cleaning of small parts. When I was in the states we used hexane, as benzine was supplied with a 10 pound headache of paperwork.

Still available at every corner drugstore here (along with just about any other chemical you can imagine)- I would guess that being a Swiss company Etalon figures it's the same everywhere. I would recommend naptha or white gas over alcohol; alcohol doesn't do much to cut grease. Though you could also clean it with a good detergent and then rinse in alcohol, drying gently with a hair dryer.

Paul, I think the closest thing to Naptha would be Ronson Lighter Fluid. I have used it, works great, dissolves gummy oils, & dries residue-free. Are the Indicators doing OK ???

Would probably work. I think it contains a rust inhibitor of some kind, which might leave a sticky residue.

Might be way out of line here, but why wouldn't 111 TriChlro... or Perc do just as good a job with a few less side affects? I'm no scientist but they clean nicely with no residue! What am I missing?

Justaminute. Benzene (the real thing) is a strong carcinogen. It is also a teratogen and can also cause inheritable genetic damage. It also has a very low lower explosive limit of 1.3%. It is also very toxic and is usually used under a fume hood. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot caliper.

Hexane is also nasty stuff and it has a super low explosive lower limit of 1.2%. Flammability rating is severe and the exposure threshold limit value is only 50 ppm. It is normally used only with a breathing air supply.

If I am not mistaken, Benzine is the British term for gasoline. So, we can wash our arms of grease up to our elbows with gasoline, but will cause genetic changes in the entire western world if we should wipe anything down with a gasoline/benzine, saturated rag.

Most interesting.

We have become such pussies that anybody says that will kill you, we automastically say, "I ain't gonna use that. It can KILL you."

I could, right here, say, Bull ****. Problem is, there are so many pussies out there who think they will live forever if they listen to the Doomsters.

They have absolutely NO idea what they speak of. BUT, they sure as hell scare you, don't they.

Cheers,

George

Read your bottle of Mountain Dew and other soda pops.
They use benzine-something to keep it fresh.
Keeps you fresh iside too I'll bet!
Kap Pullen

If I am not mistaken, Benzine is the British term for gasoline. So, we can wash our arms of grease up to our elbows with gasoline, but will cause genetic changes in the entire western world if we should wipe anything down with a gasoline/benzine, saturated rag.
Wrong Gasoline is called Petrol over here, and benzine/benzene is a rather nasty cancer causing chemical.
If you are using gas to wash with, be aware that it will wash all the essential oils and greases out of your skin and will cause dry skin and maybe something called dermatitis. :eek:

If you are that concerned about using the right stuff to clean your mic, I'd go for the old classic of giving a spray of wd-40 once a week, unless you are working in a salt water envioment, it wont need any more than that.

Boris

Back