What's new
What's new

Enterprise Lathe

not much info, thats why i was looking for a site...it looks newer, doesnt give the swing but 80" between centers...3 1/8" spindle bore...its a 1210 or 1012 or something like that...seller doesnt give a great description...

Enterprise lathes have been made for years. We had 2 of them back in trade school in 1980, they were 70's models. They were both 15" models. The new ones may be good but the older ones were junk. The gears on them back then were cast and done so poorly. The gears in the carriage were continuously breaking.
Just look it over good and use your better judgement.

I have a 15x40 enterprise lathe its a very good lathe .I tried to but a pitcure of it with this
reply but i can't get it to work.Or i could email you a picture of it if you want.

I think were going to look at it regardless...what should i look for besides the obvious?...i dont want a piece of junk...id need something that cuts true between centers and such...should cut a test piece between centers I guess..if its still hooked up....

I had one of the 70's Enterprise lathes, of about 14" swing... what a POS. Looked heavy as hell, you couldn't take a cut that a 9" SB would take in stride without the Enterprise chattering like a kid in the cold. Underpowered, yet given any kind of a load it would throw it's drive belts. Gears were nicely finished cast mystery material, that tended to shed teeth for no real reason. Electrics were shall we say unique. Newer ones, I've heard are fine... having said that, I would look very close and ask to try under power. Was a happy day, when mine went off to a home shop.

Cyclotronguy

I had one that I ran in machine shop school, back in the late 90's. It was probably 15+ years old.
It was actually a nice lathe, sure something may have broke when Kids got ahold of it. But this one was in nice shape, and worked fine. It looked like a Clausing model 1500 if I remember right.

Enterprise 1550

I've owned an Enterprise lathe for 28 years (bought it used - nearly new). I don't work it hard, it has performed well for me. I bought it because a local machinist had one, liked it and he bought two more (oh, and it was available).

I appreciate that this is an old thread, so likely will go nowhere. That my contribution.

hey....
i have two 15x40 enterprise lathe..... its a very nice belts. Gears were nicely finished cast mystery material, that tended to shed teeth for no real reason. Electrics were shall we say unique.

Noticed that in Post No 10 this thread , back in April 2006 Cyclotron guy said
" Gears were nicely finished cast mystery material, that tended to shed teeth for no real reason. Electrics were shall we say unique."

Quite a statement !

Then just today Botham exclaims,

" Gears were nicely finished cast mystery material, that tended to shed teeth for no real reason. Electrics were shall we say unique."

Doplegangers or what ? Or long lost identical twins.
But Cyclotronguy sounds like a guy.

And Botham's Avitar suggests a person of the female variety.

Davycrocket

Hi Guys,
I am looking fora manual for MK Enterprise 1550 and MK 4 CAPSTAN.
A wiring diagram for the same will be of great help.
Kindly request you all for the same.
Thanks and regards,
Anil

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a manual for MK Enterprise 1550 and MK 4 CAPSTAN.
A wiring diagram for the same will be of great help.
Kindly request you all for the same.
Thanks and regards,
Anil

Kirloskar enterprise lathe

The Enterprise lathe was manufactured in India By Mysore Kirloskar .Kirloskar is a big company manufacturing many Items in India. Mysore kirloskar company stopped producing machine tools when it started producing cars in collaboration with Toyota. The company was manufacturing lathes in collaboration with some British company.I have various models of the lathe working in my workshop.
Anil sharma asked for manual for capstan lathe & enterprise .I had both of them which i sold a few months back .If you have any problem with them I think i can help you with that.

I there guys, I just got myself a enterprise 1550 lathe, ant i would realy apreciate if somebody who own one could take some detailled pictures of the feed and threads chart the one on my lathe is completly erased. Thanks guys

Back