What's new
What's new

Prat Whitney 6" vertical Shaper model B

Stan K

Plastic
One of these seems to have followed me home, I guess I encoraged it. Looks like fun. Spent a chunk of Sunday getting the chips and dried oil 'n grease off. Its going to be a tight fit into the garage shop, but will just clear the door. Been making space, pictures to follow.

I am looking for paperwork, I see a parts manual on ebone for $50 (a copy, not original), ouch! Does someone have a copy available, either or both the parts manual and the operator manual.

Thanks for any help.
Stan K.

Hi Stan:

Just sent parts and OP manuals to Konrad in Canada.

Can do same for you if you get with Les Webb (forum member) ( if its all right with Les) in Fullerton and shoot a bunch of nice photos of his old Bridgeford lathe. It would save him the trouble

John Oder
[email protected]

Sweet machine!
Thanks again John!

Got mine off E-bay,[near Chicago] it too was full of old chips and grease.
Everything was in working order, except the ram slide was worn, I scrapped and ground all of that and she back 100%

This is how she looks today.
Konrad

IMG_3746.jpg

Wow am I glad I've never run across one of those! I don't think I could resist buying it.

Thanks for the picture.
Joe

johnoder:

Thanks ! I know where there is one sitting out in the weather - think it is a 12".

I assume the quick positive ID is the diameter of the rotary table - can you post that info ?

Jim C.

Jim C.

Tables are respectively 19 3/4" and 24", but the quick give away, even from across the yard is the SINGLE rotary table handwheel on the 6" and the THREE rotary table handwheels on the 12"

What Pratt did here is move X & Y controls on the 12" to near in and same level as the rotary table handwheel. On the 6", X and Y handwheels are on nose of "knee" (actually just projection of base) and right end of saddle, respectively. These are lower than the rotary table handwheel.

John

[ 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: johnoder ]

These things have a huge footprint.Bought one off ebay a few years ago in Detroit.I thought it was about the size of an atlas horiz mill when I bid on it. Still sitting in my way in the middle of the shop. John was kind enough to send me all the info on it, but I haven't put it to good use. Yours looks great Konrad.
Brian

Thanks Brian!
I custom keyway ones in a while, special ones with radius in the corner, this 6" machine works fine up to 3/4 " wide.
Today, I did a 7/8", 4.5" long with 1/16 radius in corner, but I went in with a 1/2" first.

Something I always wondered...how old is this machine?
Konrad

Konrad, how did you get this machine from where you bought it, to Edmonton? What was the cost, hassle and time involved? Any problem with customs?
Thanks, Paul L

I found a number, [the only one] not sure if it's the serial number...15735 on top of that number is letter A. Over how many years have they produced this model? Can you perhaps take a guess if this is not the serial number?

Paul
It has been a few years....not sure exactly anymore how much, all I know is, it was about one thousand and one more thousand for trucking. I knew someone, who could help me for a good price, because he knew someone in the trucking business who was trucking this route.

Custom...
I didn't have to deal with that, the office staff took care of it, all I know is, when the trucker was at the border, he didn't have right, or correct paper with him and was grounded for a while, not sure how long. :D :(
Konrad

Konrad:

The Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery lists the 6" Model B M1506 being made from 1927 to 1947 with serials ranging from 191 to 1151.

As with lots of entries in this book, this can be both inaccurate and incomplete, but serves to give an idea.

John

Konrad:

The Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery lists the 6" Model B M1506 being made from 1927 to 1947 with serials ranging from 191 to 1151.

As with lots of entries in this book, this can be both inaccurate and incomplete, but serves to give an idea.

John
Serial # on this one is 1188, it is on the truck and will be at my shop in 2 days.

Attachments

• Slotter 002.jpg
    Slotter 002.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 275
  • Slotter 001.jpg
    Slotter 001.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Slotter 005.jpg
    Slotter 005.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Slotter 003.jpg
    Slotter 003.jpg