What's new

FICEP Universal Iron Worker - Italy

• Thread starter dephenicie
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 11,771
D

dephenicie

Hello, looking for a 1959 era machine manual for FICEP Universal Iron Worker (Italy)
One of the capacity ratings is 1/2-in x 6-in x 6-in angle.
Thanks in advance for useful answers. dp

If you post this in other venues, it might at least help show that you're somewhat in touch with reality by prefacing it with something like -

"Look, I know there is probably a one in ten million chance that someone in the USA will have a 1959 manual for this super obscure Italian machine, and that this person will actually be willing to dig it out, and sell or copy it, but what the heck, doesn't hurt to try, right ?"
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I just looked and to my amazement, ~I~ have the sales brochure for the Ficep "Universal Punching & Shearing Machines"...dated 1957. Sold by the Maserati Corp of America, Westbury, NY. Looks like you have a "No. 20" machine judging from your 1/2 x 6 angle capacity.

But sales brochures are one thing, finding old and obscure ~manuals~ are quite another. Machinerymanuals.com might have it, but be prepared to pay the piper.

Hello, is this for sale? Willing to scan a copy? Thanks
<< For what it's worth, I just looked and to my amazement, ~I~ have the sales brochure for the Ficep "Universal Punching & Shearing Machines"...dated 1957. Sold by the Maserati Corp of America, Westbury, NY. Looks like you have a "No. 20" machine judging from your 1/2 x 6 angle capacity. >>

I might scan one page (it's 20 pages long btw) but standing around a scanner or copier is about as interesting as watching the proverbial paint dry. If you're anywhere near Beaufort, SC you can come and copy it yourself, or I might be inspired to sell the original if the price is right
smile.gif

I`ve got a Ficep ironworker.Meant to look at it today as I always thought it was made in Spain.Model is a UIW40.40 ton.We only ever use the punching end,4-8 hours a day most days for the last five years.Never had a problem with it except for the solenoid holding screws coming loose twice.Can`t think why anyone would ever need a manual for something as simple as an ironworker.If you need spares get the manufacturer to fax the relevant page.If the manufacturer has gone the part number is no good anyway.
Regards,Mark.

I visited Mrs. Bruno Colombo in her plant in 1975 when we were interested to add a CNC punch line to our Kaltenbach Cold Saw line.

When I got onto the shop floor, my first time in Italy, I saw a fabricating plant with 40 CNC machines for their own production, it was spotless and would have made an Aircraft manufacturer proud.

Kaltenbach objected (as they were preparing their own CNC drill line in conjunction with Arboga).

Several Canadian transmission tower fabricators bought their line and done well.

<< Can`t think why anyone would ever need a manual for something as simple as an ironworker. >>

We the bored want to thank y'all for your thoughtful and creative answer. Where shall we send fruit baskets, lobster, and whiskey?
Yur thought process really helped out a lot.

Can`t think why anyone would ever need a manual for something as simple as an ironworker.

I get a manual on anything I possibly can. It's saved me a great amount of time, even when I couldn't get a "store-bought" part. At least there are explanations of how stuff goes back together, or illustrations of operation, etc. Illustrations have helped me ascertain how to make a replacement for missing, obsolete, or destroyed parts on many occasions. By the way, Cleveland Punch and Die supplies punches for any ironworker, and they're at 800 451 4342

Richard

Richard, I'm with you on this "I get a manual on anything I possibly can."
Called Delta today to get a manual and parts list for a 1947 Abrasive Belt Finishing Machine (aka 6 X 48 belt sander). Info is on the way. Anybody have a NOS platen, or guards, or bearings, or... for this model 1400 - it's only one step up from a basket case but Oh! the challenge. Had I looked this one over better I would have left it in that dark dingy shop. Good reason to carry a flashlite on treasure hunts.

quote:
<< Can`t think why anyone would ever need a manual for something as simple as an ironworker. >>

Hello? Some of us are still confined to earth, not yet privileged to make casual round trip visits from heaven ward, we try daily to acknowledge our shortcomings by humbly expanding our knowledge base followed up with action.

Asking around and getting opined on-line is great for those prolific souls who like to post their opinionated replys (by the thousands) but for me it is my duty to acquire as much documentation as possible on the subject at hand so that the file cabinets are properly filled. I need not defend or explain my desire to find original and rare (but not always so valuable) material but I assume there are some folks on here who might enjoy hearing about the chase.

In the matter of the autopsy of an abandoned Universal Iron Worker, the builders plates and identification were long gone. Very dim clues abounded-motor made in Italy, graded bolts with SAE ‘type’ markings, data capacity plate had English units, only one metric reference. No patents and none pending. No casting numbers. There was half remaining of a torn machinery dealers tag with Long Island City 1, New York and a RAVenswood phone number still readable. The lack of a Zip code and old phone numbers put pre-1960 in me mind.

Some ex-PERTS were sure it made Buffalo chips at one time but after carefully looking at every source possible I determined this machine was decidedly not built in the US.

The only thing the owner knew about it was how much he wants to take to the bank when my truck runs out the 30 second, 30 ft guarantee at the end of his driveway..

The first fruitful lead emerged from a Google Search using ‘similar’ and ‘Buffalo’ and 'Universal Iron Worker' aka UIW

http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/ar/trucks_canadianstyled_fabrication/index.htm

Bingo, this article made a fleeting reference to the FICEP machine. Next, I came here to inquire. Now we are in the literature acquisition stage and soon must decide to restore or recycle the UIW.

disclaimer:
This was written in fun, so that you too might decide to share your experiences and entertain us in the process. Good Luck! dp

[This message has been edited by dephenicie (edited 09-25-2003).]

Looks like they promise everything you need in this sales pitch.
"For Ficep, service to the customer does not end with the sale of machine and speedy installation.

A highly trained, skilled and efficient team will help Customers for services of primary importance such as training and after sales support. A clear and complete documentation will be provided to better understand how to use and maintain the machine and to order spare parts and tools."
That sure sounds like an invitation to get what you need. Now if you get hold of the right person at FICEP and there wasn't a fire or flood since your machine was produced, you have a good chance.
wink.gif

<< dp,-
have you considered something as revolutionary as contacting them http://www.ficep.it/default.htm>>

Oh Gee Teacher, yes I did and no I am not a revolutionary. dp

Mes. 683/na/03

Dear Mr. Phenicie,
thanks for your e-mail. We confirm that it's a Ficep machine, of about 35 years old. As regards these very old kind of machines, we have nothing more at our disposal in Ficep (neither technical drawings nor spare parts).

We stay at your disposal and send

Best regards

Ficep spa
Pierluigi Giuliani

[This message has been edited by dephenicie (edited 09-25-2003).]

Lucky guy has a Ficep manual

If you post this in other venues, it might at least help show that you're somewhat in touch with reality by prefacing it with something like -

"Look, I know there is probably a one in ten million chance that someone in the USA will have a 1959 manual for this super obscure Italian machine, and that this person will actually be willing to dig it out, and sell or copy it, but what the heck, doesn't hurt to try, right ?"
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I just looked and to my amazement, ~I~ have the sales brochure for the Ficep "Universal Punching & Shearing Machines"...dated 1957. Sold by the Maserati Corp of America, Westbury, NY. Looks like you have a "No. 20" machine judging from your 1/2 x 6 angle capacity.

But sales brochures are one thing, finding old and obscure ~manuals~ are quite another. Machinerymanuals.com might have it, but be prepared to pay the piper.

I find your response to be funny... As it was the exact thoughts I had when I bought a Ficep ST10 sight unseen from an online auction.
I had a job that required 2 holes and a notch in 14,000 pieces of angle iron that were 8' long. I initially started this job using a plasma cutter and soon realized that was for the birds! I searched for an ironworker and almost bought a new one until I came across the Ficep ST10 in an online auction. And shazam, I was low bidder at something like $400. So I made the 3 hour drive and loaded it up. Just before I drove off I thought I might have a look around the facility and into the office I went. I met an angry couple that had bid on the contents of the office, and when they went to claim their goods... they were already gone. So they were not happy and pretty much in a ran-sacking mode. They were digging through paperwork looking for anything of value. I gave him my phone number and told him if he came across anything that said Ficep on it I would pay a pretty penny for it. Low and behold, while I was standing there he gabbed the next pile of crap on the shelf and in his hand was all the paperwork for the Ficep I just acquired. He held it out and said is this it? Kablamo! I hit the jackpot. Full manual and brochure and invoices and part numbers and all associated records. I offered him $100 for the golden paperwork and he declined, said I could have it since I was having a better day than he was. I ended up mailing him $100 with a note thanking him and that hopefully he was not out too much money on his bogus auction. He mailed back a nice note thanking me and wishing well. So yes, I have all the paperwok I need now. And as far as the machine... OSHA would not approve but it runs like a raped ape and I hope it never attacks me. I was able to crank out my job in a fraction of the time and at a higher quality. Every time the slug from the punch fell into the bucket it was like hearing dollars fall into my bank account!

I just bought a ficep ironworker like the one pictured above, I will be putting it back in service soon.

Seems to be built very heavy,I can't wait. Says it can shear 2" round bar

Back