What's new
What's new

OT- Mattress quality and toss/turn factors

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this is embarassing, but SWMBO is reporting gradual increases in snoring by her bethroved, but only when I lie on my back.

So, the question is, would a really high quality mattress, like Tempurpedic, make any difference in one's tendency to want to "turn" during the night ?

Usually a better mattress is sought after for back troubles...but (amazingly) I have no back troubles at all. So just wondering if a more 'form fitting' situation would lead to less subconscious need to turn during the night such that I might stay on my side more ?

A Tempuroedic mattress did not slow down my wife's snoring but I will tell you what did. A C-Pact machine, it blows contitioned air into a mask wornen over the nose. A Doctor will perscribe one for you. Don't you know that snoring is a dangerous condition that will lead to heart problems and shorten your life! Or so they say, I don't believe it. I snore and I an not worried. My Aunt cut a coard of firewood every night with her snoring. She only lived to 105 years and 5 months. When she was 80 she fell and broke her hip. Her Doctor told her she would never walk again. She said, "I will too, I an not going to spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair!" When she was 104 she was walking 1 or 2 miles every day. Gary P. Hansen

Funny thing.... I have heard the very same thing from my wife which of course I have no knowledge because I'm sound asleep..... So we got the Tempurpedic pillows and they did seem to help so I've been told.... and then we got the Temp. mattress which I must say is quite comfortable and maybe I snore less because I sleep so well........ but now I kind of like it with a softer pillow.... so who knows if this works or not for snoring. What I do know is since we got the mattress almost a year ago I have not woken up in the morning with a stiff back and that is worth the price alone.

Now for something kind of funny...... with as much advertising as Tempurpedic does it made me start to wonder how much of that price is for some old piece of foam, I mean come on... how can a chunk of foam cost THAT much? and how much of the price is for hype. A couple weeks ago I had a friend from Denmark staying here and since these things are sold as Scandinavian/Swedish sleep systems I thought I would ask her what kind of a reputation they had there....... I was fully expecting them to be just average and all this hype was for us in the USA..... but oh no... she said those are amazing and super expensive over there... I mean it sounded like they cost more there than they do here..... so maybe there really is something to these. BTW... the first place we ever saw them was in a department store in Japan years ago..... they were really pushing the NASA space thing...... as I recall they were also offering Tang.

We went for a Select comfort about a year ago. while it made for much better comfort while sleeping. The little woman still says that I cut a little wood in the night. Funny I never hear it. ;)

Sheesh, four responses and still no one addressing my actual question.... are you guys turning during the night less or not ??

I've wanted to try a temp for years, but I wasn't willing to go through the hassle involved if you don't like it. And till you decide if you like it or not, you gotta store that old mattress, where do you put that?
I think Temp is missing the boat with a lot of folks like me. They could contract with one of the major motel chains to furnish a motel in each major metro area with Temp mattresses and use it in an ad. Yoiu could coordinate a business trip or other visit using one opf these "trial" motels, and evaluate the Temp mattress!
Dave

Good idea DOM....the Best Western in Newport, TN could be their prime East Coast test "bed"

When I bought my last mattress. I was stunned to find out it was like buying a used car. Mattrss salesman are the scum of scum. I just didn't expect it to be that difficult.

Sorry not an answer you wanted, but just a general comment.

So, anyone care to say what the cost of one of these was? I have snoring and back problems, and I have considered one of these. But I figure, if the snoring doesn't kill me, the sticker shock will. :eek:

Hate to even talk to a salesperson unless you know you can afford it in the first place.

I doubt Rivett even knows...probably had his financial planner handle the whole deal while he sipped Shiraz :D

Can't say if I flop less or not. I have always flopped around in bed. I can say that I am much more comfortable now while I flop. ;)
I will say that I do feel like I get better sleep now. We opted for the dual zone model and the misses likes to have her side a little softer than I like it. I like that we have the choice.

Note. I switched from using a water bed for pretty near 20 years. I missed the heat so I went for some electric heat pads. They can make it pretty comfy too.

Oh and I think the Cali King with the cheap plastic foundation was about $2100.

I dont think I would like the Tempurpedic. I understand it can be quite constricting the way it moulds to your form. You kinda get stuck in a full body cast. Maybe you dont roll around as much cause you cant. I also have heard they can feel pretty warm in the summer months due to the way they suck you in.

Snoring more lately? Have you gained some additional baggage? You know, not the mother in law, yer own baggage, around your mid section, especially yer neck area.

I never used to snore. Now I find my wife kickin my ass in the middle of the night just to get me off my back to stop snoring.

Breath right strips, surgery, less alcohol, more sleep, less weight. Dunno, guess I have alot of friends with a snorin issue. Some of them have their own bed now :eek:

JRouche

about 2 K... depending on model and size...
Yikes....I feel a 'cheapskate attack' coming on... OK, so does anyone know the price of a top quality "regular" mattress in queen size...like a Sealy Posterpedic or similar ?

One possible root to this snoring problem is weight. Never layed eyes on you that I know of but it your overweight then losing 40 might lose the snoring too. I battle the weight and when Im lighter then snoring seems to lighten up too.

I toss and turn because of the back pain. I don't know what caused the snoring. Haven't gained any weight lately, don't drink. But sometimes it's so loud I wake my self up. I heard surgery for this is an absolute nightmare.

Anyway, I sure wouldn't mind trying something new in a matress, but they are expensive to try. When the back problems first arose, I bought a new mattress. They allowed me to try it, and if I didn't like it they would exchage it for a softer or harder one. I did that 2 times and still have pain. Finally gave up on it. Bought that new mattress and got no improvement out of it.

So Don, I hope you have better luck in your search. It would suck to by one of these and find it's not the answer.

I will guarantee that it will not cure snoring. It does sleep much better. The mattress feels awful warm though. Ours is a Scandinavian memory foam mattress. Unfortunately it was an upgrade in price over the Temper pedic. The kings size has 2 mattress and both have been replaced in 1 1/2 years because the so called memory failed.
Butch

Back