What's new
What's new

DSG Lathe info needed

scott t

Cast Iron
I'm looking at a DSG type 17 lathe it has 18 inch swing over bed; 12.250 inch swing over cross slide; 72 inch between centers and a 2.625 hole through spindle. Does anyone have an idea what this thing weighs and what it would be worth. Good condition no noticeable wear with a 3 jaw I don't know if it has a 4 jaw yet and no additional tooling.

Scott

Alwyn has one of those .
he posts here
I've seen his and it depends on what motor it has.
if it has a big hulking motor the size of a beer barrel..........I would estimate its weight to be 2.5 tons
all the best.......mark

BTW
THINK HIS IS A 36 INCHER LIKE THIS
17t.jpg

SO..........I would add another 1/2 a ton

so now it weighs 3 tons

all the best...mark

Assuming that it's simmilar to the one I helped move it's about 9000 lbs. You lucky bugger! They are well thought of here in Winnipeg but good luck finding one here that hasn't endured three shifts on it for forty plus years. Does it have there fast lock nose or a D1-8? Where are you?
Cheers, Stan.

Mr Epsilon: The DSG's I've run didn't have a fourth shaft like the one in your pic. Is that some sort of rapid threading jobby? Curious, Stan.

That lathe in the picture has the designation of 17T

These I believe were only supplied to colleges.
they had form relieving function on them on top of the standard stuff.

This was in the.....what's the word.............things to learn in the college course.
is it coriculuum....anyways was only put on the lathes and only the lathes for the colleges so that students in the colleges could learn form relieving.
all the best....mark

Hey Epsilon,that`s a pic of my pal Alec`s 17T.I recognise the ivy on the walls in his small showroom.Have a look at his site www.budgetmachinery.co.uk for more DSG`s.
The T is the toolroom version fitted with relieving for cutters,hobs etc.The only other British manufacturer that offered a lot of machines like that was Holbrook.
I would expect that machine to weigh 3.5/4 tons.
regards,Mark.

NOT SURE
but I think Alwyn spoke to some former rep for DSG
and the T was said to stand for "training".
Alwyn took the huge motor off his and installed a 15hp instead....
the original would have needed a small power station built onto your workshop !!!
All the best.....mark

Epsilon,the "T" stands for toolroom.Hand scraped,slow speed for relieving,heavy cast iron base and solid bearings.
Was the BIG motor on your mate`s not two speed,which was an option.
You won`t find a lot of DSG`s in colleges,far less teachers who would know how to set/use a relieving attachment.Standard equipment in colleges and schools since the early sixties at least were Boxfords,Colchesters,Harrisons and the odd Town Woodhouse.The T W was were quite good machines though not very common.
regards,Mark.

A 17 -72 around 4.5 ton,looks in good condition,
You would be hard pushed to find anything better if you have the room for it,so the wheight is insignificant really,you could buy a machine with the same capacity,half the weight,and it would be half as good,thats my opinion.
If its the right price i would snap it up.
I have 3 DSGs all in use,2 1960s one 1989 pony cnc Monarch/dsg.
Mark Mc Magrath, the pic that Mark Epsilon shows is the same as my lathe,17T With form releiving,
yes T does mean tool room,
17Ts with form releiving where used in colleges for the HNC-HND qualification,not every colledge had them,my 17T came from Enfeild colledge of technology.
The big motor is a AEI comtometer motor,takes the spindle speed down to 3.6 rpm for a 20 flute gear hob,thats what the book says,it is a very big motor,looks like something from a rolling mill,
34" long 26" dia,anybody want it?
Silvertop,i also have a 1342 1964 machine,if you live in the US you could contact "castiron" on this forum he also as a 1342.

I live in West Australia but at the moment I'm building a house in the Philippines.
I've had the DSG for 10 years, great machine.
The only shortcoming of this machine is that the cross-slide engagement on the ways is too short allowing small movement of toolpost.
They had to make it short to accomodate the power drilling attachment.

Hi Scott,
When I purchased my 13T it came with a 17T manual,
I would be happy to copy it for you.
You won't regret having one of these in your shop:)serious castiron built with the finest care.
mac_____

Hi guys
I went and looked at that very machine in the above pics two weeks ago!! its a small world!!!. I found that the bed had some wear, so i passed on it.Now i have question for you guys though, im looking to purchase a lathe for precision gunsmithing work, but dont know how to completly check over a machine, does anyone have any tips for viewing used machines? or how do you go about getting an expert to look one over?
Many thanks
Kevin

Back