What's new
What's new

Digital Micrometer US v. import

TFPace

Stainless
I am giving into the desire to buy a digital micrometer.
I have used the Starrett 732-734's and as much as I like keeping the $$$ here in the USA I have heard too many good things about Asian/Chinese electronics.
There are several imports on eBay that are priced in the 20's-mid 30.00's range I can buy 4 or 5 imports for what one 734 sales for.

So with all this said.... do the imports hold up like the Starrett or Mits?

Thanks for your opinions.

Tom

I have a Mit SR44x1 and totally love the thing. I have several non-digital, but I tend to use this one almost all the time. I know that doesn't help you much but wanted to let you know.

I have been using Starrett 722 digital caliper for over 10 years. It uses two 386 batteries every six months. The batteries always seem to go when one needed the caliper most. A few months ago I bought a Chinese digital 6” caliper from HF for $20. It’s as good as the Starrett 722 and uses only a single sr44 battery. The import doesn’t have the 722 “tenth” bar indicator, but a caliper doesn’t obey the abbe condition and “tenths” are not reliable with a caliper. The Starrett 722D depth attachment fit the import caliper with some minor grinding on the import screw on bracket. The same import caliper is on sale at HF for $16 and comes with one spare battery. I only wish the import caliper was coolant proof.

Don Clement
Running Springs, California

I own both the Starrett and the Mitutoyo digitals with SPC, and like the Mitutoyo a bit better. The Starrett looks cool. The Mitutoyo has the better reputation for reliability.

Also bought a Chinese clone of the Mitutoyo a couple years back, when I was doing some research on knock-offs. The quality might have improved in the past couple years, but I'd recommend the real deal (especially if you get it around $50-60 or so on Ebay). The Japanese Mitutoyo and the Chinese clone look very similar from the outside. But the Mitutoyo closes with a definate feel while the clone was mushy (due to faces out of parallel, slight slop in the screw, etc.). Also, a look inside to the electronics of the clone vs. the Mitutoyo didn't inspire confidence.

Be advised that Mitutoyo also makes water resistant models -- nice if you're working around coolant. The newer models also have larger LCDs -- increasingly nice as you get past 50 years or so old. With any of the digital mics you can save a bit if you don't need SPC output. The output does let you hook up a huge display. Never mind the SPC, you'll be able to read your mic even if half blind :).

I prefer Starrett, B&S, or Mitutoyo (in that order) for all my measuring tools. I just can't bring myself to buy the far east stuff no matter how good the price looks. I'm too set in my ways for that. The Mitutoyo 8" digital caliper I use daily at work is excellent. We work in both inch and metric systems so the ability to switch on the fly is helpful. I have an older Mitutoyo 1" digital mic #293-701. I rarely use it because it seems heavy to me. I reach for the Starrett instead.
Bob

I have a Starrett 721 digital caliper, full function, carbide faced, a Mitutoyo 6" digimatic caliper, Mitutoyo 293-721 digital mic and Mitutoyo digital depth mic set which uses the same head. I also have several Chinese clones of the calipers.

I have never found a more annoying product than the Starrett 721 caliper. When you pause movement for a few seconds, it no longer updates until after a brief delay after you move it again. This is a PITA when you're trying to zero in on an accurate reading. The beam is much thinner than the Mitutoyo and you can get several thousandths variation by applying gentle flexing pressure. The Mitutoyo is rock solid, exhibits none of this nonsense and the battery seems to last forever.

IMHO, one of the reasons that the Chinese clones never feel the same is that in many cases, they were probably reverse engineered. If they don't have the prints for the parts, they will not have the tolerances, finishes and fits that give Starrett and Mitutoyo their "feel" (except for Starrett digitals). This will change in time as they learn these things for themselves.

In some product areas where corporate fools have gone to China to have a "licensed" clone created, guess what ... the prints are left behind.

This has happened to some top notch companies, for instance, Leica / Wild went to China years back to negotiate the manufacture of one of their top selling stereo microscopes used for bio - dissection applications. The negotiations fell through (AFAIK) but the prints were left behind :eek: Guess how long it took and how many clones appeared. This will probably happen to those Starrett products for which they are dabbling in Chinese manufacture.

In summary, I'd strongly recommend Mitutoyo for just about anything, Starrett for non-digital stuff (can't beat their mics and verniers) and Chinese clones for either expendable applications (high probability of theft or damage) or for tight budgets.

Sorry it's so long winded but just recalled a problem on one of the Chinese digital calipers. The ID jaws were ground so poorly that one varied from a flat to a knife edge while the other was a wavering flat.

Den

Hey, he was asking about micrometers not calipers. ;)

Starret sucks. I bought two Starrets, one Craftsman (Tiawan?), and one el-cheapo with no brand name on it. They are all the mechanical type, no batteries. I've been using them for about 10 years and they all perform about the same. However the spindle locks are all different.

The Starret is the worst. The spindle lock is a ring around the barrel that turns on its own from handling. This causes it to drag and give you false readings. :mad: The fix for this is to pull the barrel sleeve and lock up about 1/8", let the locking pin fall out, throw that pin as far as possible accross the shop, and slide the barrel back into place.

The one that I like the best was the cheap no name mic.

The Starrets always seem to read a half thou off digitally. :( I've attempted to adjust it but can only seem to change it by a whole thou. :confused: Anyone know how to adjust them?

Hey, he was asking about micrometers not calipers.

I also own a Starrett 732 digital micrometer. Like the 722 caliper the 732 micromter uses two batteries. It is OK. My Swiss Etalon manual micrometer gives more consistent measurement results. I do like the friction thimble on the 732 though.

Don Clement
Running Springs, California

Hmmmm.....I see Paul G. shares my fondness for digital measuring sticks. If a person happens to not have an anvil calibrator handy, a large rock works equally well :D

I will cast yet another vote towards calibration by sledge hammer. Why buy some chepo digital unit from China when there is tons of solid classic American units available on Ebay?

Why buy some chepo digital unit from China when there is tons of solid classic American units available on Ebay?
I've looked eBay upside one and down the other and only see 3 electronic Mit mics for sale....

please post some links to the tons available :D

Hi
Been using a "cheap" 0-6" digital caliper for 4 months in a full time machine shop.
Holding up very well. -/+0.002 ok for genearl quick things.No rack to clean out etc.
Also, I have a 1-2" digital mike("cheap china") for 2 months.It also works very well!!
It is time to get off the "high horse", China is here to stay and their products keep getting better.

I am only a HSM not a pro so take that in account. I have used a Fowler digital mike for 18 months and love it. Its a little large and clunky, seems like all the electronic digital mikes are, but it has great feel and my results are within half a tenth when I repeat the measurement.

Michael

Back