What's new
What's new

foaming small wheel/tires .

jim fuchs

Cast Iron
has enyone here had eny luck putting foam in small wheel/tires. tired of flats . jim
thay are 1 pc alum. wheel with tubeless tires .

I don't know about putting foam in them, as I think that over time you would get flats to wear on the foam,which would be cause for an awkward ride. I can tell you that I use "Slime" in our ATV tires which help battle flats. The stuff works and you should be able to buy it at the local automotive store or Wallyworld. It seals the small leaks or punctures if that is what you are having problems with. If not please disregard about the Slime.

I tried a can of the high expansion insulating type foam on some small knobby bike tires. Pulled the core and tried to squirt it through the valve stem. It didn't fill the tire evenly. Might work better on a fatter tire such as a wheelbarrow tire. I have had good luck with the Slime on ATVs as well.
Scott

I use the tire foam on the front tires of my tractor. Great stuff, it usually runs around a dollar a pound. It is not a do it your self project. It is a two part system with a hardner. They pump it at the same pressure as if it was air. The tire will act just like it had air.It remains soft and does not get a soft or flat spot. It will out last the tires and will put an end to your flat tires problems.

Best regards,
Gary

The aluminum wheels may be the cause of the flat tire problem. There is a spray on product that you spray on the inside of the wheel on tubeless tires that will stop the air from leaking through the aluminum. Got mine at one of the auto parts stores.
It is a lot cheaper than foam.

Joe

The next time my wheelbarrow tire goes bad, I am going to get one of the solid ones you can buy. I have used Green Slime in two tires. It seems to work ok for awhile like in months, then more leaks.

Slime works good until the first time you allow the tire to go flat. Then the bead breaks and you are back to where you were before. I used it on my Formula V race car many, many years ago. The thin race tires leak air through the sidewalls I think.

Randy

DO NOT use the insulation foam in a can. I tried it in some tractor tires. Once the air is out (thorn, nail, etc.) the foam is not strong enough to support the weight. The foam starts to break apart from friction and the tire collapses--You end up with a flat tire full of foam "dust".

The two-part "solid rubber" stuf is the best but it is very expensive. If the tires are small, like 13" or less, they make solid soft rubber tires. Otherwise, be prepaired for sticker shock to have them filled.

That two part solid rubber stuff is great to use to clean your sanding belts and disks.Had to put a new tire on a blacktop roller,cut the tire in two and hated to throw the heavy chunk of gum rubber away.

Back