What's new
What's new

Wierdest looking radial drill ever

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
http://cgi.ebay.com/VOEST-UNIVERSAL-RADIAL-DRILL_W0QQitemZ7538940482QQcategoryZ12579QQcmdZViewItem

in the '70s I had an Oerlikon that was darn near a twin to that except it had a drawbar in the spindle and an X-Y table bolted to the main table. Sorta wish I still had it, it could be handy at times.

That price is incredible, eh?

Mud, I've seen a few Oerlikon radials over the years but my recollection was they were strange looking, but this one is much stranger...like the designer wanted the head to look like an egg !

Yes, fantasyland on the price...would probably bring 500 bucks tops at well attended live auction....more like 50 bucks at sparsely attended auction.

looks like he swiped the head off a Van Norman. A typhical throw it into the wind effort, you never know when you find a buyer who has been in love with these drills since he was a virgin. Kinda like a johansen drill, most people would not take one for free but others would not live without one.

It`s a portable radial.Asquith and Archdale made a lot which are quite common over here.Can drill a hole anywhere it can reach,the job does not have to be on the table,upsidedown,sideways,take your pick.A dealer friend of mine had one of these minus the base,couldn`t give it away although it looked like brand new and could have been bolted to a tee slotted table to make a handy drillregards,Mark.

"It's aerodynamic" ....{as said like Jackie Stewart}

Interestingly I'm going to Orange City tomorrow on another "mission", I was at first interested in that dealer, just to poke my head in, but geeeeez the prices are high.

I looked over their recent ebay feedbacks and they've sold some stuff for less $, but it all seems to have warnings about "broken", "needs work", "inop", etc.

-Matt

matt, the owner of Sierra Victor in Port Orange is actually a super nice guy. We've been at many of the same auctions in Florida over the years. He was very helpful once when I had to find a reasonable rigger with warehouse storage on very short notice. He just has a tendency to plop some rather unrealistic prices on some pieces.

If you have time you might want to visit with Acme Surplus in nearby Sanford (right on the interstate 4 before Sanford actually...same exit as the huge Featherlite gazillion dollar motor home dealer). One of the few general industrial surplus outlets in the country with everything neatly organized.

I'll be in Sanford on Friday night and Saturday...also on a secret mission ;)

Don said "... the owner of Sierra Victor in Port Orange is actually a super nice guy."

Don, that jogged some ancient memory cells, but not enough to pull his name. Steve V(something). If he is who I think it is, you are absolutely correct. Both about being a super nice guy, and about sometimes almost cluelessly optimistically pricing a piece of machinery "just in case".

Didn't he start in Gettysburg, PA.; first out the Biglerville road, then back of Jim Garrahy's "Fudge Kitchen World HQ" at the airport?.

smt

smt, Sam Valenzisi. I would have figured further north than PA heritage judging from strong accent

Back