What's new
What's new

Shimming a lathe level

BadDog

Stainless
Wow, my shop floor was worse out than I thought. I followed the Rockwell process for leveling the lathe and while it was very little out front to back, end to end required 1/2 strap stock for shim on the head stock end.

My question is, exactly what is required of “shimming”? Do I need to just shim the outboard corners? Or do I need more of a long “shim” down front and back, or a full platform type of afair? The cabinet seems very strong, but all that weight on just the 4 outboard corners seems a bit much. Maybe all 4 corners of each cabinet (8 total)? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Please overlook the mess caused by the reorg to fit the new lathe, but below is a pic of the lathe/cabinet in question.

lathe1.jpg

If you will look at the NUMBER of places where the lathe bed is attached to the cabinet, I am guessing 4. With 4 places supporting the lathe on the cabinet, 4 supporting the cabinet on the floor is plenty good enough. It's not like you have a heavy duty machine there and will be loading material near the weight of the machine between centers. Your parts are gona weigh 50 lbs or less...more like 3 lbs... Your done, start using it.

Thanks, but "done" isn't quite right. Still have to fix the back gear engagement drive gear (popped a retaining ring, but requires head stock tear down) and then fix the stubborn "doesn't want to engage" longitudinal feed (which of course requires pulling the apron). And of course I'll have to do a detailed cleaning/adjust/inspect while those 2 items are down, so I expect it's be a week or so before it turns it's first test bar in my shop, and that assumes nothing found that is not easily fixed.

But I wanted to make sure I finish the leveling today so I can return the delicate level to my friend before something happens to it...

I have two of the same Rockwell 11" lathes but on a different factory cabinets. On one, the bed on the tailstock end is mounted to the cabinet on one point, actually making the lathe rest on three points. That obviates the need for leveling the lathe since the cabinet cannot impart a twist to the bed. I found it necessary only to shim up the cabinet so it did not rock on two feet and was level enough that tools did not roll when I set them down. I found the lathe plenty accurate for my use.
Good luck on your headstock and apron repairs. I found the headstock tricky to work on because of the tight space.
Regards,
Jim

Tight is an understatement. The problem is in the bottom next to the back gear, below the main spindle assembly. Can't get to it from the top at all, I was barely able to fish out the gear for transport using a magnet. So I have 2 choices. Remove the spindle assembly, or remove the head stock. The double v-belts have one looking pretty bad, but still has LOTS of life for a home shop, and pulling the spindle is required to change the belts, so I'm thinking of doing that. But pulling the head stock and leaning it over is lots easier as the belts don't have to come out, just off the lower jack shaft pully. Also, taking it apart give a chance to run it through the parts washer and completely freshen it up. But it will add hours(?) to the job and it runs so smooth I'm a bit concerned about getting it back working as well with all the pre-load and such correct.

Hmmm...

BTW, how do you like the Rockwells? I'm very impressed so far.

Back