What's new
What's new

Not OT-- Any aircraft mechanics here?

Michael Az

Stainless
One of my customers that reburbish's airplanes came today to pick up a part and said there was something else he needs made. Balancing knives for alerions. He said whenever they paint a plane they have to be rebalanced and he isn't at all happy with the setup he threw together. He explained the base needs to be heavy and I have some steel that measures 2" X 4" X 16" and he thought that with a steel plate on the bottom should be close for the base. So I am trying to think how the knife should be made. I would think it should have a means to level it each time it is used, bubble level inserted in the tool? Anybody familiar with what I'm talking about? Any pictures out there? Thanks
Michael

Michael, this is not a really critical thing from your end. As long as the knives are relatively level (such that the aileron when balanced does not roll off of them!lol) they will work just fine. This is just like a knife edge wheel balancer, prop balancer, etc... You lay the control surface pivots (all of them have to be re-balanced after paint, not just the ailerons) on the knives and see if it sits level. No big deal.

Back