What's new
What's new

Thread to clarify weird tools.

Breechman

Aluminum
Is there any thread in this site where can one post a picture of any rare, uncommon tool or instrument found around to let the machinist community help on trying to discover what we are talking about?
Just curious......

Since long I have this couple...gages? mandrels?
They came from my old grandfather toolbox and nobody has ever been able on telling me what were they made for. It reads: "7.225 M/93 DWJMI ABR-KARLSRJHE" and "10.7 M/93 DWJMI ABR-KARLSRJHE".
They even have the bore fully RIFLED!..... :confused:

P1010752.jpg

P1010757.jpg

Firearm related, could be to check bore size. The M93 was a small ring and the 98 was the large ring Mauser action. You mit try posting this on the gunsmith forum.

they look like bore "plug gages" to check the caliber of an unknown barrel. Definitely made from old rifle barrels.

7.225mm=.284" this is the GROOVE diameter of 7mm barrels

10.7mm= .421" this is the GROOVE diameter of the .404 and 10.75x68 barrels (nominal .423, but A LOT of variation in them)

yes, the 2 most common types of Mausers are the Model 93 and Model 98.

in the top picture, I am assuming the smaller diameter portion is s seperate piece. Is this correct? Does it just slide in the knurled portion of the tool? If so I say they are definitely home made plug gauges. I imagine the length had some significance, as they are marked "93" and "98."

I have a lot of my grandfather's old tools and to be honest, I hate even using up a tool bit. It makes me feel like yet another little part of him is gone.

If you want me to try to figure out what exactly the tools are, if you send them to me I will check them out and measure and check them in rifles. I will then ship them back to you. I know at times I scratch my head when looking at some of my grandfather's tools and wonder what problem he was trying to solve at the time.

I have often wondered if some one in the future will look at some homemade "hootus" of mine and try to figure out what I was doing.

Back