What's new
What's new

What would be your next machine ?

Metalworkist

Aluminum
After your B'port, engine lathe, drill presses, grinders, press brake, hyd. tubing bender, TIG & MIG, torches, plasma, plasma pattern cutter, english wheel, power hammers, etc.....what would be the next most used/usable machine you'd buy ?

A horiz. mill ? or shaper ? surface grinder ? boring mill ? and what would your need be for your choice ?

Don't know what you are working on the most but if it is sheetmetal I would look at a shear and a shrinker and stretcher to go with the english wheel.
Then maybe some tyoe of punch and an arbor or hydraulic press.

For machine work I would go for a surface grinder.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Well, I have two mills (Jet m/d and Griz BP clone) two lathes (9" and 11" Logans) two drill presses, four bench grinders, a bandsaw, four welders (two stick, one MIG, one TIG) a belt sander, a bead blast cabinet, an 18-station turret punch...

Next? You name it. I have some of the parts for an english wheel, I'll probably finish that up this summer. I need a sheetmetal brake, I'll probably make that this summer too.

I was looking at a 14" South Bend (later model) that's local (I'd probably sell the smaller Logan to offset bnoth cost and space) and a surface grinder. Don't really need the latter, but I'm sure I could find a use for it.

I'd love to have a smaller horizontal mill- something bigger than the little Atlas desktops, but not a huge 3-phase Cincinatti.

I'll be getting a good plasma cutter before too long- actually probably two, one of the small, inexpensive ones for sheetmetal on up to about 3/16", and a bigger one that can at least sever 1/2".

I'm also collecting parts to make an "ironman" iron worker, with a 12" shear (should I make or buy the blades?) a punch that'll use the same punches and dies as the turret punch, and an angle-iron-and-rod shear.

The small Eastwood style stretcher/shrinkers would be nice, as would a good propane forge and a big anvil...

Yeah, I'm a tool whore. :D

Doc.

I have been thinking about this alot latley. A FORKLIFT, air tires preferably. Or maybe an oil well.

For actual machines, a planer with a 5' bed would be nice. I have a BP head put aside for it. Or maybe a thread mill that has a locking spindle but still has feeds to the cutter head so that I can cut long (about 8') keyways. It would be nice to cut acme threads as well. A customer of mine has a lot of acme thread adjusters. They use a pipe wrench on the threads when they get stuck. Not good for them.

It would be nice to have a Monarch 61 series. 16-18" swing 96 C-C.

A FORKLIFT, air tires preferably
Got a Baker 6K pneumatic at my house. Gas engine but runs ok now that I got the distributor wires arranged right. 1,500 bucks if you come get it.

The machine has been conceived using FEM (Finish Element Modelling) and CAE (Computer Aided Engineering).
Re FEM, so what..how does that help other than getting approval to proceed with a new design quicker ? Unlikely to make the machine any better. Re CAE, yeah, them and every other CNC machine tool manufacturer on Earth :rolleyes:

Cool machine though...probably got one of those wacky Fidia controls...I wouldn't ban it from my shop

I currently am playing with a older 5X FPT with one of those wacky FIDIA controls. Some of my longer programs have run for 6-8hrs or more and have more than a million lines of x's y's. The fidia handles it pretty easily. I recently spoke with a tech about a new droop&rein and he told me the smallest 5x finisher starts at around 1.5 mil and we need a pretty big one.

Re Fidia, yeah, they may be fine controls...I have zero personal experience with them. Was basing the "wacky" on the testamony of one operator of a large Fidia equipped gantry mill I talked with about four years ago, plus speculation based on my dealings with other Italian machines.

You didn't mention any bandsaws, those are useful in any shop.

An ironworker would be nice if you were doing rougher fab work on structures.

A 20" disc sander would be a nice toy.

A cold saw could come in handy.

One of those Diacro Hydra (Hydro?) press brakes 48" wide would be a sweet little puppy.

And yes, the rare 1/4" x 48" shear. There's a soft spot in my heart for one of those should I ever have the room or money.

You can always get into adding another lathe, a little chucker for small intricate work, a big monster for large work or long shafts.

-Matt

FIDIA

The menus and pages on the screen are a bit confusing until you find your way around and it does take a bit to actually start a program.
From the CNC page I have to hit lots of buttons to get the thing to move. execute file--- scroll down the page to find the file - enter then another page pops up that show program and machine info (axis switches /rotations, mirrors etc) hit okay then go thru cycle start and tool change/verification then run the dang program....

The short explaination is run that program , yup that program, yup I really mean it, now start and don't hit anything pretty please!

I have my fun with the italians too,this year has been great since Ferrari has been sucking so bad.

Yeah, I meant more esoteric machines like shapers & boring mills. Or a gear hobber & a Hartford threading machine, which is what I'm looking at now. I've got air powered shrinkers & stretchers, homemade Eckold shrk/strch., Pullmax P9, Weidermann 3050 turret punch, Pexto stomp shear, belt & disc sanders large & small, vert. & hor. bandsaws, homemade ironworker & a homemdade wet cold saw, chop saws, etc..

Geez if you've got the space and inclination get a horizontal boring mill with the tailstock.

Now thaaat would be useful.

A shaper's just for kicks and grins and 70 degree inverted V-way tooling.

A planer/planer mill would be a great toy if you can find one that's smaller than your building.

-Matt

Back