Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Grainger Sucks Monkey Nuts

RebHawk is offline Stainless

Default Re: Grainger Sucks Monkey Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    Nope. But I've never gotten anything but top quality from them.
    My problem with them is that they have their motors built by the low bidder, and are forever discontinuing models/wiring configs. Which usually means you have to rewire whatever the motor ran. Which is a huge pain in the ass when the "new" version of the motor has to be wired up differently from the old version.

Cheers,
    --Hawk

wgnrr1 is offline Hot Rolled

Grainger is overpriced. But if you take the Grainger part number to DrillSpot.com | Online Hardware Store you can usually get it for less and free shipping.

I have been very happy with this option.

Josh

doug8cat is online now Stainless

I purchase a few items a year from them and never had a problem they are always sociable and somewhat knowledgeable about products. I really don't care about their familiarity cause I know what I want and the majority of their business is to trades other than machining. I phone in my order and in about an hour it is ready at will call, drive over sign and go.
    They bill me net 30.... never a problem. I live in a pretty "industrial heavy area" so my branch i usually stocked.

However their prices leave a lot to desired. Just MHO and .02.

P.S. They a whole hell of a lot better than Fastenal, which really bites the big one. Limited product line, never in stock, when finally in stock they send the wrong thing, followed by reams of paper work to authorize the return and high prices.

Ray Behner is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by doug8cat View Post
    I purchase a few items a year from them and never had a problem they are always sociable and somewhat knowledgeable about products. I really don't care about their familiarity cause I know what I want and the majority of their business is to trades other than machining. I phone in my order and in about an hour it is ready at will call, drive over sign and go.
    They bill me net 30.... never a problem. I live in a pretty "industrial heavy area" so my branch i usually stocked.

However their prices leave a lot to desired. Just MHO and .02.

P.S. They a whole hell of a lot better than Fastenal, which really bites the big one. Limited product line, never in stock, when finally in stock they send the wrong thing, followed by reams of paper work to authorize the return and high prices.
    Hold on a sec there Doug. I know for a fact that Fasten-nil had something in stock....once...I think. Oh yeah, it was about a thousand boxes of asst. Chinese wire terminal ends. On special too!
    moonlight machine likes this.

Newman109 is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Singleton View Post
    Don't have a business? Join the Farm Bureau!

You get service, the discount, a neat little magazine, and you get to help support farming, ranching, and the rural way of life!

My Texas Farm Bureau membership is about $40/year, and I get discounts on all sorts of stuff, including Grainger. Now that I'm in (brrrr) Pennsylvania, I'll be joining the PA Farm Bureau, too.

Join up; be a redneck hillbilly, and Grainger insider!
    That's a good suggestion. I use propane in my rural home for heating. The company that provides the propane gives a 40% discount on propane for California Farm Bureau members. It's $72 per year for a family membership, but it saves me $150 over the cost of the Farm Bureau dues.

As to Grainger, it's a little known fact, but they will give a 10% discount to walk-in Farm Bureau members. I seldom go there, but there are times that you need something special in a hurry and they generally have it in stock.

In the past, when Grainger was a very small operation in my area, I was actually told to leave one day because I wasn't a Farm Bureau member at the time. Since they opened their large warehouse in my area, they are much easier to deal with. I think that you have to have a brick and mortar store to get an account with them but I'm not sure and I wouldn't want one anyway.

Dualkit is offline Diamond

I worked for Grainger for a whole 4 months between machining jobs when I was in my early 20's. Mind you that was 30 years ago. Even at a young age I had a decent amount of do it yourself experience from learning things as a youth from my dad and having summer jobs from the age of 12 and up, and then working in shops from the age of 16 (I lied about my age). I worked the counter along with up to 3 other people, most of the other people working there were helpless assisting customers beyond grabbing what they picked out of the catalog and writing it up. Soon I got a following from the daily and weekly regulars, local plant maintenance guys that would bring their broken items and toss them on the counter. Sometimes I would get a half dozen guys waiting for me and the other 3 guys had no one. This angered the hell out of our branch manager. She said company policy states the average transaction should take XX minutes and I was going way over. If a customer doesn't know exactly what they want hand them a catalog and send them to the end of the line. If they still are confused tell them to call for professional help (electrician, plumber, etc) and that I am not there to help them fix their problem. If you think I was a time waster my sales were higher than the rest of the office and counter staff combined. She once berated me for taking 10 minutes to make a $100 sale. I told her I earned a repeat customer and he will probably tell others to come here, it was a good investment. Anyway after countless arguments over "company policy" I quit and got a machining job the next week. I think that Grainger attitude is still the same. It isn't the counterman's fault it is the company puppet running the branch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12