What's new
What's new

Half OT Want to buy Shear, Who has them?

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Need a powered shear with min 16 ga mild/20 stainless capacity, would prefer 12 ga mild, 16 stainless.
Min length 52" Who has them? MSC does but price seems high? Need one right away, Help! Andy

I have a Tennsmith and am happy with it, but it is the 16 ga. mild "jump" class.

I think National is a USA brand at lower price point than Tennsmith...although not sure if a 12ga mild "jump" version is sold by anybody (???)

You will probably have to goto either full air or hydraulic in the 12ga mild class, and that, my friend ain't gonna be cheap...if you are worried about the MSC prices for 16ga....best sit down.

My "ultimate" shear would be a 1/4" x 49", although I know it would be a 5-8000 lb beast and its usefullness for me would probably outstrip its floorspace consumption.

On edit: One DOPE_SLAP for me since you already stated "powered"....

Some info: (note the impressive difference in mass & most likely cost between these two classes of machines)
http://www.tennsmith.com/pdf/footshears.pdf

http://www.tennsmith.com/pdf/lmshear1010.pdf

For a small mechanical shear that doesn't take up a lot of space, a 12ga Niagara is hard to beat. My dad bought one of those around 1962 for his HVAC sheetmetal shop, and used it continuously until 1990. Sold it to another shop that's sorta across the road from us, and they still use it every day. It partially sheared a woodruff key in the driveshaft once when someone tried to cut 11ga SS with it, and that messed up the clutch/brake timing until we found the problem, but other than that, it has had no breakdowns in over 40 years, and its got to have over a million cycles on it by now.

Since you're in Va, you might call N B Handy in Lynchburg and see if they have, or know of, any power shears for sale in your size range. They deal in all kinds of sheetmetal supplies, and their salesmen usually know what anyone in their area has for sale. They're fine people to deal with.

Thanks for the links etc. Did some shopping and found MSC was one of the better places, at least in the National brand.Stayed away from the Di-acro on 'bay, seller had never made a cut,to risky for me.
Still shopping. Andy

i have a old niagra 12 ga x about 42 in i think i hate to dig it out $1650 in NW MN solid good working good paint weighs about 4,000 pd made of real metal, cuts like steel is butter

Back