What's new
What's new

Hamilton lathes

thomas1

Aluminum
Anyone have any experience with lathes made by Hamilton Tool of Ohio? A friend of a friend has one he's looking to get rid of. From their rudimentary descriptions it seems to be a model A, 16x54 or thereabouts. He's asking $500. I have not seen the lathe in person and only have some bad cellphone pics to go off of so far.

Hey, guys:

Mess around Tony's site and there is a Joe Michaels story about a Hamilton Lathe in Wayback, Wisconsin!

It seems that Joe was posting stories before this Board came on line

Thanks Greg, Tony's site was the first place I looked.
I'll probably go check it out within the next week or so. I'm curious if anyone has firsthand experience actually running one and what to expect.
Like everything else I realize that it's worth is depedent on many things, including what accessories it comes with. But, a brief search hasn't turned up much information past Tony's site. From what I gather it seems to be a fairly well built machine with unusual gear change system. I imagine the spare parts network is non-existent?
John, am I going to like the quick change until I have a problem and can't get parts?
Is there a better place to find Hamilton gurus?
Thanks for the help so far. I'll try to get some pics for everyone.

Tom

:D

Hmmmm

Anyone contemplating an old lathe that is NOT currently supported (like SB via Le Blond) needs to get comfortable with the fact that there are no spare parts, unless you happen to also acquire a donor machine. This is fine with me - but then I can make anything (related to old machines :D ) . I like the idea of pattern making and Rick is up there in Ohio pouring iron as fast as he can. You can do it. Forget the oft mentioned "spare parts" and have some great fun and a fine learning experience.

John

John, thanks for the advice. I just noted that on Tony's site he is looking for someone that has a machine with the circular gearbox. Which leads me to believe that finding a second machine to pillage, if needed, might be a fruitless endeavor. Do you have any experience running one of these machines? Any comparison between a Hamilton and something more commonplace?
Thanks
Tom

One nice thing about these old machines is they're pretty easy to work on, though you probably won't want to be messing about much with the spindle bearings or scraping the bed back to level anytime soon.

If you do take the plunge, its very helpful to have a mill and lathe in good shape nearby to work on parts. You'll probably get experience boring out bushings, sleeving shafts, making gears, etc.. its a great learning experience. You'll need lots of space to take the thing apart and lifting equipment so you can take parts off- the headstock and carriage will be heavier than you can lift by hand.

The lack of parts sounds scarier than it is most of the time. If you find a worn out or broken part, then the question is how to make a replacement- which is when you'll start really learning.

So I'd say if you want to buy a lathe thats ready to go, then its probably not the best first machine unless its in quite good shape. OTOH, if you have the space and want to work on it & learn a bunch, then its sure to be an interesting project.

Greg

Thomas:

I have never owned, run, or even seen a Hamilton. But I can see the deep stout bed, and the nicety of the separate feed rod - something even my great old L&S does not have. Oscar Perrigo in the reprint of the 1916 Lathe Design Construction and Operation (available from Lindsay) says good things about this line of lathes.

I don't think it was the same company, but I associate the Hamilton, Ohio area with great men and great machinery. Here was Niles Tool Works, and Hooven Owens Rentschler - this last name being the father of the Frederick Rentschler that founded Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.

John

Actually, there have been several of these for sale on Ebay in the last year. If someone wants one, I have one I would be willing to part with as I have too much old iron already (but I continue to buy more).

I was looking to get something a bit bigger than my SB9B. The owner wasn't home today when I stopped by :( . Hopefully I can catch him tomorrow. If nothing else I'll try to get some decent pics.

Tom

Back