What's new
What's new

Pics of machining fan hub

j king

Stainless
Bored so I figured I would show a couple new pics. This is a fan hub for a vent shaft fan.It comes in as a ruff forging and gets quite a weight reduction before completed.Bore was ground with a tool post grinder.Bore tol. was -.001 + .000 and a 32 fin.

100_2383.jpg

100_2415.jpg

100_2414.jpg

J King-
You are my hero. I aspire to do such work some day. Running a lathe that size would give me a "king of the world" feeling. I think I would enjoy letting it go to my head. :D I think a full blown complex may be warrented. Is that a boring bar, or a gear drive toolpost grinder??
--Doozer

j king...more GREAT pics.

Bore tol. was -.001 + .000 and a 32 fin.
That's gotta take nerves of STEEL...some real measuring and machining skill...and the price tag on the machine work (and the whole piece) must be UN-REAL. Was the diameter for the rest turned first, and was the tailstock used for support?

Doozer . It is a boring bar.
Running this is no different than running a smaller lathe.Really.The physical abuse from the heavy tools and climbing up and down is tiring.Shovel a few barrels of chips a day and the small parts will look a little better again.
I am more impressed with Rivett's small stuff.I cant imagine how he does that stuff.I would love to watch him machine something small.What would be nice if you mess something up to just toss it into the trash and start over.Material costs would be so minimal. :D
Glad you guys enjoy the pics..

Hey lathefan. It was ruffed out with a chuck in the tail end.Ruff all od,Set staedy rest and bore ID to - .100.Remove steady and chuck both ends and finish 1st end.Turn part around and finsh turn other end and flange dias.Set steady and finish bore..Just like a little piece.

Whoa, I think I would get claustraphobia the first time I walked up to that machine.

Probably a dumb question, but when does a VTL type machine make more sense for a big part like that?

Paul T.

Paul.I guess it would make a difference if we had one but it was sold several years ago.I prefer a lathe for this type off work. Radi are too hard on a vtl compared to a lathe.My opinion anyway.Hard to reach over a vtl table and polish radi and it isnt as solid as having a chuck and tailstock for support for ruffing.It is trapped in the lathe.I dont like vtl's that much. Good for short pieces up to a couple feet thick.

Hi, wonderful pics!

A couple questions...is the "track mark" for the roller steady polished out later, or is that just accepted as standard practice to have that in the work?

Also, what are your typical spindle speeds when doing this work...guessing higher for the toolpost grinding?

-Matt

J. King,
Great pics! I wish you'd "get bored" more often:) . I like the contrast of the big wrench compared to the diminitive and somewhat delicate look of the dti and it's mag base. Very cool.
Mike

J. thats something. We all have screwed up a piece of work. Im thinkin at some point you have done a doozy workin on the size stuff you've shown on this forum. Whats the worst one you recall?

Glad you guys enjoy the pics.

Matt.That piece doesnt weigh enough to wear into part.I squirt oil on the rollers.Dont really have a good reason for that.Just an old habit.As far as speeds it depends on what you are doing and the tools ect...Grind slow.Fast will overrun the wheel cutting speed.Alot of surface for a smaller wheel.

MJK. No weights.

JL..Bite your tongue.No bads yet... :eek: Just have to pay attention.

Very nice work.

I'll stick to making smaller stuff. I find working on a 500$ piece of material stressful enough as it is.

Back