What's new
What's new

Anyone who does stamping, punching here??

project

Aluminum
I need aluminum disks with 2.5" in diameter out of .05 or .06 or.07 (whatever you have handy)aluminum sheet around 50 a month. anyone here wanna to do business? (fair prices please)

I do stamping and punching everyday.
2.5" is no problem. E-mail or PM me with a few details such as type of aluminum, tolerances and surface finish required.

Hmmm, fair prices......for you or me or both of us? ;)

Les

I keep looking in the dictionary for the instance where fair is defined as cheap. Haven't seen it yet, but learned a long time ago that's the real meaning of the word when used in conjunction with prices.

I'd imagine you're much more likely to get "fair" prices in stamped parts if you buy a couple years' worth at once instead of buying them in little monthly dribbles.

I keep looking in the dictionary for the instance where fair is defined as cheap. Haven't seen it yet
I think "fair", with regards to machine parts prices, is defined as "not more than I'm willing to pay"

LOL

I guess there is not such a thing as fair price anymore.

The reason i said fair price was taht i went to a stamping shop(it was bigger than walmart!!!) and the guy wanted $1.87 a disk cause he didn't have a die for 2.5" blank !!!! and had to laser cut them. BS

Here are the specs:

Blank disks : 2.5"
aluminum : 6061 T6
Thickness : 0.05
surface finish : Normal (most sheets have the wrap on one side so if you can keep them on that would be great, the edges will be machined anyway)

It costs me around $30 shipped for 24" x 36" aluminum sheet that i can get 96 disks out of it.
i cut them in 3" straps and stack them on the mill bed and use a hole saw(without pilot drill) an it takes less than 5 minutes to make 96 disks at $.31 each.

Do you think i should do what i'm doing or stamping would be cheaper? (i would take 200 disks at a time)

You want a part custom made to your specifications for less than $.31? In lots of 200? For a total value of the job of less than $62.00? I don't think you will find very many commercial shops (or even part-timers) that will be interested.

Would you be willing to sell your time for the value you assigned it when you priced your cost in this part? If so, I may have a job for you.

project, you might as well keep right on making them like you are.
Stamping is quicker, but you are going to have to pay for setup. If I buy the material, it will cost you more. Gotta have a little markup on the material. Then you have to add on shipping.

For some reason many people ask for 50pc quantities. It doesn't take much more time to run 100 or 200pcs for that matter.
The real secret to a lower price is to order as many as possible to spread out that setup time over as many pieces as possible.

The $1.87 price isn't bad for laser cutting that small quantity. Kind of amazing that they didn't have a 2.5" die.
Under 4" or so, you can ask us for dimensions to three decimal places on the OD or ID. If I can't hit it right on, I will be within .010-.020" or just make the tooling the size you need.

So there is no way to get it down to a "fair" price or any cheaper than how you are doing them currently.

Les

Slice a bar?

Just a thought...unattended saw?
Is the surface finish important?
Is the flatness more then .005?

Some should be able to run a DoAll saw overnight?

In those quantities you might be better off making (or buying) your own die set. I think that size disk only requires 2 tons of pressure (somebody correct me if this is not right). Which means that you can do it yourself with basic 3 (or maybe even 2) ton arbor press. You can also get small hydraulic presses used that don't cost much more than an arbor press and can go up to 10-15 tons. That will easily handle any disc of your size range.

Also, if you want a smaller press, but don't mind heat treating you can anneal the sheet, punch the disks with even a small 1-ton press and then reharden them. Some people can anneal and harden aluminum pretty well using just a propane torch but you can get a small metallurgical furnace the size of a cube refrigerator with electronic controls for less than $1000 ($500-$600 used).

I think I may have to move to Charlotte- it sounds like a pretty magical place, where a metalworking shop has no rent, no utilities, no insurance, no consumable costs, no cost for equipment, no charge for hole saws, no taxes, NO WAGES for employees, and no other expenses. My guess is that food, drink, gasoline, and pickup trucks are free there as well. I wonder if mom will do my laundry?

Of course, the downside is there doesnt seem to be any profit there either.

But time does seem to move at a faster pace there- 5 minutes there is like an hour in my shop.
:D :D :D

What you want is a large washer without the hole. Boker's lists the 2.5" size so they do have the dies. They claim they can so specials so perhaps they can make them without the holes. 800 927-4377.

All the usual disclaimers.

Paul A.

What you want is a large washer without the hole.
That is pretty funny Paul.
If it doesn't have a hole it isn't a washer. :D
The correct term is blank, or as some call them, blank disks.

Part of the fun of the job is trying to figure out what people are describing when they call on the phone. Thank goodness for pen and paper and fax machines.

Les

That kind of make sense, i'll keep doing them myself.

When i said 5 minutes thats plus the setup time (clamping down the sheets 5 minutes max) but after that it does take 5-10 minutes.
I cut 12 holes out of 0.4 aluminum after stacking the 8 sheets.

There is no need for deburring since they are gonna be machined to different diameters afterward.

I don't know how it takes you guys 1 hour.

I do have an abor press but making a die and pressing each one would take more time and money than doing the hole saw method. a 2 1/2" metal hole saw costs me 10 bucks and does 100 disks before it gets dull then i can return it the same day and get another one for free :D .

Chris

Les,

3 3/8" diameter, 10 gauage mild steel.

Can you punch them? If so, how much would I be looking at for a quantity of 200. Just your labor...I can approximate material/shipping costs.

-Jacob

Ries,

Charlotte is not a "magical" place but i don't care where i live i WON'T pay $1.87 for cutting 1 aluminum disk out of my own sheet that you have to machine it to exact diameter of your own afterward.

Would you pay that much?(if you would, i'll move to washington if there are more of you and the like live upthere ;)

Chris.

a 2 1/2" metal hole saw costs me 10 bucks and does 100 disks before it gets dull then i can return it the same day and get another one for free
Is ten bucks for a 2 ½” hole saw a “Fair Price”? If your getting 100 parts out of a saw – 10 cents per piece. At least have the decency to buy your replacement hole saw, with out your supplier / hole saw manufacturer/ distributor subsidising your production.

Regards Phil.

Back