What's new

"Show us your ~parts~" forum ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 3,528
D

D. Thomas

I was at a friends shop yesterday where he showed me some intricate parts he was making for a medical device and it occured to me, it would be interesting to have a forum or add to the "show your shop" forum, a place for folks to showcase the parts or complete machines/mechanisms they were most proud of making. Many parts done on wire EDM, are particularly fascinating to me, but any intricate part that takes skill is usually interesting.

What do you guys think, and is newbie difficulty in posting photos a hinderance ?

Well, these are not exactly my parts but they are my favorite vee blocks. I made one of them from a drawing in HSM magazine and the other one was made by a toolmaker that I bought some tools from years ago.

Let me try this again.

Charles

[This message has been edited by CBlair (edited 10-26-2003).]

Dang Charles, I want to see parts, not the molecular structure of steel ! You been hangin out with Ox or what ?
wink.gif

================================
PM tip of the day- when you edit a post more than once, delete the "notice of edit" at the bottom each time, so you end up with only one edit notice no matter how many times you edited.

Speaking as a total wannabe machinist, who has a 28 year old japanese BP type mill, and is frustrated every single time I use it, I would be extremely interested in seeing photos of completed parts... intricate and simple. Maybe seeing how things should look would help my (and other's) skills, and maybe not, but it sure would lend some hope that it CAN be done!!! I think having a forum for photos would also be a huge help in getting advice for what all of us newbies are doing wrong.

[This message has been edited by MikeR (edited 10-26-2003).]

I'm all for having a section on work in progress or completed. Here's one for the time being:
36228c86.jpg

It's the parts for a self-aligning turnaround pulley. The wheel is Delrin--wonderful stuff to work with!!

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 10-26-2003).]

I have a heck of a time anymore with posting a pic. Seams like they all have too long of URL, if there is a brake in the URL' like a carry over to the next line, it won't post.

Thanks for the tip Don, I was trying to figure out how to change the size of the image. I guess I have to do that before I post it in the Dropbox. So what size do we limit the picture to? Anybody out there have a clue?

Charles

Charles , here`s a shot at some tips in a non-technical manner.(mainly because I don`t know ALL the details)

What works for me in onscreen-size is checking it with a viewer (MS paint does fine).
Shrink it to a size that makes it fit `easily` on your screen.
(depends what resolution your monitor is on)
I use 1024 x 768 and usually keep pics to be posted at 2/3 of the width of the monitor.

As for compression : depends on what type of connection most users have.
My DSL has no problems at all with pictures of about <200 kB.
(loads them in the blink of an eye)
I don`t know about the dial-up users out there , maybe someone could comment ?

As Schulz alluded to, photos should be sized in photoshop (or whatever) software ~before~ it's put on the web.

You're the second person to ask me "what size" to limit it to, which is kinda strange question to me, as it very much depends on the particular photo. Bottom line is always keep as small as possible to show what needs to be shown...be that thru cropping or making it smaller overall..usually a combination of both. In your photo, besides being waaaay larger than it needs to be, you're wasting image showing parts of the wood tool box, etc.

And ~never~ make an image so large one needs to move the slider bars just to read the posts.

Dunno what photo software you guys use, but most will show the image size wise just as it will appear on the web. Sometime you might alter the size and crop and forget to 'save' the altered version and put up the original unalter version by mistake. In that case, so back, find the proper saved one and hit the dropbox or web once again.

Much better Charles. Still coulda done some cropping at the bottom, but that old oak is pretty I admit
smile.gif

Pretty cool Jim.

Another example of where you could have cropped unnecessay background out however, and then you could justify making the photo larger and easier to see the details of what really matters.

I'd suggest including a scale in the photos, which I plan to do from now on. It's sometimes difficult to tell the size of things like Jim's tools. That's impressive work, regardless of the size.

Roger

Test--Don't knoww if I can post a pic here or not. Some discussion boards are set up so you can see what you have before it is posted.
Michael
http://myweb.cableone.net/michaelaz/wrench.jpg
Looks like I did a link to the photo instead of posting the photo. If I did it with HTML would it then show the photo? In my post section, the "HTML is OFF".
Michael

Test again
wormgear2.jpg

Wormgear that I made for the power downfeed in my mill, couldn't find a new gear.

[This message has been edited by Michael Az (edited 10-27-2003).]

Hey, thanks Barry! It worked now but is it too big? I'm still trying to learn computers and not very good with them.
Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Az (edited 10-27-2003).]

Back