What's new
What's new

Radius Wheel Dresser (How To)

DieGuy

Aluminum
I was hoping someone could tell me how to set one of these up. I have used one years ago, but now have forgotten. We have one at work (can't recall the make) and all I have found it is a label that says height 75.25 or something.There is no users manual around so any insight would be really useful right now.

If the center is 75.25mm(2.9626"), to dress a .020" radius on your wheel, set the diamond hight to 2.9426" for a fillet radius in your part, and 2.9826" for an edge radius on your part.

Bill

Thanks BillDe. I assume when they have a label with a height marked, they mean that is where the tip of the diamond is to be for starting purposes? I also assume that the height is set with a height gauge and scriber tip? And for a fillet and edge radius, is that like a concave and convex radius? Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, yes and yes. Say you have a shoulder with a .125" fillet radius, set the tip of the diamond(in relation to the specified center hight).125" below center to dress the wheel. If you have to grind a .125" radius on the end of a shaft or along an edge of a part, set the tip of the diamond .125" above center to dress the wheel. If the tollerance is open enough hand dress the radius with a norbide stick.

Bill

With a c/l of 2.9" this must be a rat tail or under wheel style (Yuasa, Lastword)? Correct? Not the upright style?

I have a set of Enco "space" blocks I use with a 123 block and parallel to set my radius dresser. The center height of my dresser is 3.4". I stack the blocks to the desired height, set the parallel on the blocks and diamond tip then indicate in with a test indicator and surface gage. Old graphite EDM electrodes work well as test piece for checking the radius on the wheel as they hold the profile without breaking the wheel down.

. I have always done it the way Vergil Johnson has described .I would also After zeroing across from the blocks to the diamond I would rotate the dresser 20 deg one direction then 20 deg the other direction all the time watching the ind reading to attain the same reading each direction. If reading is not the same loosen the diamond holder ( not the diamond )and rotate it with the dresser spindle locked. Then repeat rotateing and checking to achieve the same reading.What this does is make sure that the diamond tip is on the center line of the dresser spindle .A worn diamond may be off center.I suspose there are other ways to verify the the diamond tip is on center but this is the way i was taught. Chris Ypsilanti Mich.

The dresser is called "Grind Mate Punch Former" Moderl TPF-35M. Center height is 79.5mm. I guess it would be called a rat tail as it does it s work underneath the wheel.

Back