What's new
What's new

small diameter drive rollers

Salutemaker

Plastic
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a source of small drive rollers, that is; .5 to .75 inch diameter X 1.5 inch wide. These also need to be covered with neoprene.

I suppose I could cover a precision shaft with neoprene tube, however I was not sure how to go about doing this. My neoprene has to mate well with the shaft so there is no slippage.

Thank you in advance,
Albert

I'd Knurl the shaft, soak the neoprene tubing in hot water. Slide the tubing over the shaft. Grind the finished assembly to establish concentricity (If needed). You'll have to experiment with the shaft size vs the tube I.D.
Have fun,
Ed

PS They may be commercial avaiable through Stock Drive Products.

If urethane would work I think you could have them cast that way, in various durometers from silicone soft to (feels with finger) glass-hard.

Just submit your roller or they can probably make them up, they have a shop for making the molds.

Seems like it was somewhere on the order of $250 setup and $10-25 per part after that, which may be out of your price range.

The company is in Chattanooga, TN, I forgot the name right now, it is written in a book at work, let me know if you have more interest.

-Matt

Or, locate an old manual typewriter. The "rubber" rollers on the bail that holds the paper against the platen may work. Such old machines go for $5~20 around here in thrift shops. They sit around and are eventually tossed.

"Newer" units may have rollers that are not rubber but of more "modern" materials such as you need.

Back