What's new
What's new

Help! Confused with Carbide Inserts.

Canyonman

Hot Rolled
Hi All,

I came across some NOS Carbide Insert Cutting tool holders. All 3 are TRW and then say Wendt-Sonis and are marked as follows:

1) TFTL-10 #9 Insert TN22

2) TATR-10 Letter F Insert TN22

3) CSBPR-10-3 Letter L "Square Insert"*

* = My words.

I tried to give myself a class with the excellent info in the J & L catalog. About all I learned is the "T" stands for Triangle and at least numbers one and two use a 60 deg triangle, the "N" for zero deg negative rake angle. The third one uses a square insert. There is no TN22, all the letters are in groups of 4, i.e. TNMA, TNMG {I did figure out that between those two the "G" has a chip breaker)

I tried to surf something up, still confusing! :confused:

Googled TRW, Wendt-Sonis, TRW Wendt-Sonis, all about the same to me; Jibberish! :confused:

Can someone give me the "Readers Digest" version of "Carbide Inserts for Dummy's! In English!

Or recommend a order number, PN, Mod. #, from the least expensive but quality company, i.e. Kennametal, Valenite; just so I can get one or two. I would like to try them out. If I don't like 'em I'll take them to the swap meet in Guthrie OK next month.

To this point all I have turned is AL. Time to step up to some steel. :cool:

Thanks and Take Care,

Ken

I'll take a stab at this. The first two take the same insert TN22 one is a left hand and the other is a right hand turning tool, the square insert is to put a bevel on a edge. I take it they are the ones that look like a HSS bit but take inserts, screw on that is. The 22 I will assume is for 1/4" IC inserts.

For a start, check out Charlie Gallo's excellent "Carbide for the Home Shop Machinist":

http://www.thegallos.com/carbide.htm

Also, go to the MSC catalog:
http://www1.mscdirect.com

and go to page 559, which shows you what all the letters an numbers in the part numbers for inserts. Also, page a few pages forward and back for more info. Plus you can find just about any indert from them, although they may not be the cheapest. You might be able to get them cheaper at Enco (www.use-enco.com).

The carbide depot has some additional technical information at:
http://carbidedepot.com/resources.htm

TN22 is

T=Triangular

N=Negative rake (see Charlie's article for info on negative rake - may not be suitable for your machine, but you might be able to get inserts with an effective positive rake that fit)

There should be another letter to tell you how preceisely the insert is ground (e.g. U=unground and G=ground). I think this would only be important if you needed to replace an insert and continue machining with the insert EXACTLY in the same position.

22 is the size (see the MSC catalog for the dimensions). 22x is a very popular insert size, and can be bought relatively cheap.

There would be one more number for the radius of the tip.

Note that inserts differ in that some need a clamp to hold them, while others are drilled for a screw.

Steve

Back