What's new
What's new

How to make a two-headed penny?

rsilvers

Cast Iron
I want to machine a two-headed penny. I read that you want to do it on the seam within a face rather than split it down the side. I tried to SuperGlue the penny to a round bar so I could turn it but the glue would not hold. Surface was flat and clean, etc. Should I use Epoxy? Is there collet which could hold it? Has anyone done this?

when i saw someone doing trick quarters he had made a special chuck for his lathe that gripped the quarter directly. looked like he took some plate and cut it into thirds, then welded those thirds to the three jaws of his chuck, then turned the face of the plate and inlayed a spot just big enough for him to put the quarter in and tighten down the jaws.

first get 2 pennies the same year.
then get a 5-C emergency collet and bore it to slightly less than half the thickness of the penny.
face one penny leaving a post any size you want dia and height.
face the other penny and counterbore to accept the post allowing for a press fit.
press both halves together but dont tell anyone how you did it...jim

Piece of cake. Thickness of a penny: .060", .750" dia. Hold on .020", in a 5C collet, face off the tail side ( :D ); do it with two pennies. Super glue together... voila!

RAS

oh, and the inlay was exactly half the thickness of the quarter, that way he could turn the edge of the quarter, then reverse it in the chuck to cut the other half of the quarter off so he can epoxy it into the other piece.

My Dad used to make a trick nickle, he would bore the nickle half way through the diameter of a penny, face off half a penny, silver solder the half penny to a half nickle and turn the OD of the nickle to match the penny so it would fit into the bored nickle. He would appear to have a penny in his hand, lay a nickle on top of it and pick up the nickle to find the penny gone. I still have one.

I won't be flipping for beers with any of
you guys, that's for sure.

rsilvers,

are you saying bore out the "tails" on one penny just up to the rim, then turn the rim off the other face and reduce the thickness to press it into the other rim? sound pretty neat! I'd use an emergency collet, as has been described. Might need 2, one to hold the whole penny and one to hold the reduced diameter face while facing off the back. Or maybe with a 64ths set, could use stock size collets and make a good solid stop to set depth and flatten the penny against.

(wonder how many of us are going to be trying this as an interesting sunday project tomorrow?!?) :D

smt

Discovery channel had a show on the mint and coins. They showed a guy doing exactly what you are talking about. He used the emergency collet route. I use two collets and it works really well. When boring out the collet, use a boring tool with a little side rake and make the bore edge a v instead of right angle. This way it will grab the coin a little better.

Rick

Holding a penny in a collet while you bore out one side is easy enough, but how do you hold the other penny while you're cutting down the OD?

Roger

For rsilvers:

A trick to make your own collet is to chuck up a cylindrical piece of aluminum, and bore out a recess to fit your workpiece, in this case it will be a hole the width and depth to fit your penny.

Then take the cylinder out of the chuck, and cut an "X" (with two slices on the bandsaw) into the end of the cylinder. The cuts should be deep enough to allow the walls of the recess to flex radially under applied pressure. Put a hose clamp around the outside of the cylinder, which will act like a collet closer. When you put the cylinder back into the chuck, make sure it goes back the way it was before removal, in cases where you need to maintain concentricity. You can also cut an asterisk-shaped pattern by using three cuts on the bandsaw, rotating the cylinder 60 degrees each time. The cuts will intersect in the middle of the cylinder.

I'm not sure if I have explained this clearly. I think I might be making it sound more complicated than it is.

-Jon

Winchman,
The reduced diameter coin needs to be done in two steps and is best done with a collet but I've done it with a 3 jaw chuck in a Unimat. First, grip the coin with half its edge and create a step on the other size, the diameter to fit into the bore of the other coin. Then, reverse the coin and grip it on the step and face off the other side. Press together and you're done.
Jim

Does anyone think Epoxy glue will hold during machining? I could then release it with a torch. I have a book on machining that says you can glue washers to a bar for thinning.

Cost of lathe - $3950
Cost of collet closer - $675
Cost of the pennys - $.02

Cost of the look on your face when you flip it and the other guy calls "heads" - priceless

Back