What's new
What's new

leblond lathe pic test

Mike Hill

Cast Iron
2004_0516leblond0005.jpg

just testing out picture posting. 16 inch leblond sliding bed heavy duty lathe (thats a 16 inch chuck)
thanks Mike

What does it swing with the bed backed out? Gotta love sliding bed lathes. Is there any draw back other than being super expensive to build?

yes this is my lathe the picture was taken at the place I bought it from. I saw a ad in our local paper for a 16 inch leblond lathe for a reasonable price (machine tools don't go up for sale around here very often) I thought it would be a perfect replacment for my 13 inch south bend which is a little small sometimes (short bed version). So I went there with a fist full of cash expecting a lathe just a little larger than my south bend, I soon discovered it was a heavy duty leblond and a lot bigger than expected, ALOT BIGGER, I looked it over and it seemed in real good condition ran it through all the gears sounded silky smooth, And then I told myself what the #&@* do I need this for, thanked the owner for his time and left. I thought about it for a week because it really was a good deal called the owner asked if he still had it he said yes and I bought it. Its now in a million pieces replacing worn items and a new paint job, and yes it is now indoors and I will hopfully have it up and running again next year. Now I have to figure out how to get it in my basement.

I will swing forty inches in the gap, 120 inches center to center with the bed fully extended. this lathe is extremely heavy I have been pondering a forklift purchase just for working on it.
thanks Mike

Sliding gap bed lathes all ways seemed like an answer to a question no one is asking. Why not just go with the big swing? I looked for one of these for a year for a customer about 12 years ago, could not find a Leblond for a reasonable price, went with a McDougal [Canadian]. Customer said it was to save floor space, but when the bed is retracted he doesn't use the space for anything else.

Dude. That thing is a beast. I would kill to have that in my basement. Please post pics when its all done if you can, that is seriously impressive, at least to me.

agree with scrap master. Drool. want want. Seriously could you tell us the story of what problems you found, how you found them and how you are fixing them. Some day I hope to have a lathe about that size in my shop too.

Back