What's new
What's new

OT-Friends and Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbilt

Hot Rolled
I have read many times that a man will have many good friends in his life, but only one good dog.

Today, I buried my good dog.

A Border Collie / Queensland Heeler 17 years old this month. Her name was Tasha, and without a doubt, she was the smartest dog I have ever seen.

She seemed to know when to do things and when *not* to do things. I knew that when she barked, there was something serious going on.

My oldest two kids are seniors in high school this year, but when they were little, Tasha would heel them around the yard and made sure they stayed out of trouble. She knew where they were allowed to be, and made sure they stayed there.

She had an instinctive desire to heel anything bigger than she was, and I always kept the gates closed so that she would not attempt to heel the garbage truck...

She has been an outside dog for the past 11 years. She always had a place to go to stay warm and dry, and seemed to prefer it to being inside. When she was inside, she usually wanted to be outside.

Just about the fastest thing, too. One time the neighbors were having a barbecue with lots of people over, and Tasha, of course, thought she needed to heel them.

I can still remember a couple of the visitors standing at the fence, watching her dodge back and forth, and saying "daaaammmmmnn".

A photo from January
tasha.jpg

Anyway, about a year ago we had to take her to the vet (the first time in her life) and she was diagnosed with heartworms. This affliction is spread by mosquitos, which we have plenty of. :(

The doc said there is a treatment, but that due to her age, she probably would not survive it. As a footnote, he added that it cost close to $1,000.

We took our chances, and it caught up this past January. We had a lot of rain, and then it got cold. After that, it rained a lot some more.

It seemed to pull the life out of her. She was old and spry one day, and struggling the next. I don't have the cash to haul her to the vet every other day.

This past week, it became obvious the end was near. She stopped eating, and took to lying down most of the time. Yesterday afternoon I sat with her awhile, but she was not intersted in eating or drinking.

I would have put her down then, but the only firearm I own is an old 12-gauge shotgun with a box of 00 buckshot. I couldn't do it.

Today, she finally gave it up. I came home from work and dug a hole.

Sorry for the long post, but I think she is worthy of mention.

Thanks,

Will

sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our 1st collie 26 years ago, every year i hang her I.D. tag on the christmas tree I have a tear in my eye, we still have collie's present one is #5,
but #1 was special,I see a little of her in each of the other 4 we have had.

walt 37

I know how you feel Will, there are 5 Basset hounds buried on our property. Sonny, Spud, Bert, Ernie, and Thelma Lou. Everyone was as good a friend as anyone would ever want. Losing each was an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone. The solace is that we gave them all the best life possible, so there are no regrets. We currently are spoiling two more, Barney and Joey. Here's a little something for you and Tasha:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER...

It is bad to lose an old friend.
Whenever I lose a dog, I wait a couple of weeks and start looking for a pup.

Well put Lathefan.

Nice post Will, very well said. Our pet cemetary is occupied by Labrador retrievers, but current dogs in residence are a Golden retriever and a mixed Australian Shepard-Border Collie that my Wife picked up along side a rural road. Someone had mistreated him and then dumped the poor dog.

wilbilt, I am so sorry to hear his, my heart goes out to you!. I had to put my pit bull down last summer, I feel for you guy!. My Registered Therapy Dog, which serves me as a Service Dog, to help me with my disability is 13 years old an is really slowing down. I am already dreading that she only has 1 to 3 years left. She has done volunteer work for 6 years until she had a minor stroke. She tries so hard to help me, and when she fails occasionally, it reminds me of our limited time!. I found it easier to get divorced than to lose a super smart dog. A dog will never give you an attitude when you goof up, as long as your happy and good to them, they are truly "man's best friend"!!..,. Again, my heart goes out to you and your family, I hope the grieving process goes well for you!!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back