What's new
What's new

ebay buyer wants cheap shipping for heavy item, what should I do?

rimcanyon

Diamond
I sold a heavy 8" dia. x 3" tall cast iron item on ebay, with a freight calculator for regular UPS or Parcel Post. Now the buyer wants me to put it in a flat rate Priority Mail mailer and send it to him at the flat (two pound) rate.
The weight of the item is 22 pounds, solid cast iron.

I'm all for saving money, but where do you draw the line? I'm not sure I could pack it in a way that would prevent the box from getting destroyed, or from it destroying someone else's package in transit.

So what do you all think? I'll probably go with the majority on this one.

-Dave

Ive gone as high as 50 lbs in a flat rate box, so yes it can be done. Double box it, you have the spare room with the measurements you've given. Pack it tight with bubble wrap or
newspaper. I use heavy duty strapping tape (the kind with fibers running the length). Tape all the seams and then 1/2 way between each seam and then two runs of tape at 90 degrees from the top seam equally spaced. Mine always get there safely, knock on wood. Flat rate has gone up to $8.10 if I recall.

Just putting it in a 2 lb. envelope doesn't mean the Post Office will accept it!!!!!!!!dah

I once had UPS return a crate to me because it was 1 lb overweight. (121 lbs vs 120 lbs)
The tracking label showed it got to within 5 miles of the destination; Ups sent it all the way back at their expense. I guess they didn't make anything on that shipment.

Pete

A flat rate box is only 8.5" wide on the inside. If its heavy that doesn't leave a lot of room, 1/4 on each side of the 8 inch diameter. Placing it at an angle gives you a little more room.

How much difference between UPS and $8.10 flat rate box? How rare or valuable is the item? Was the UPS shipping calculator "padded" to your benefit to make the UPS cost higher?

This is a bordeline call. I will say fedex is about 20% cheaper than UPS, and less abusive on its pkgs...IMHO.

Part of the sellers responsibility, in my view, is packing securely enough to survive abuse by the delivery outfit. Flat rate box sounds iffy since I don't know anything about the object in question.

I sent 3 4' dia X 8" long rounds of 6061 aluminum in a flat rate box. Stuffed the spaces with bubble wrap and used 3' filiment tape on all sides of the box. No problem. And a guy sent me a 75 lb bronze casting in one from CO to Northern NY, came thru unscathed. Really believe in them.

The item is only 8"x3" and weighs 22 lbs. Sounds like a morter shell to me.

Plenty of room there for double boxing by the way. You want it all tight anyway.

By the way UPS nor FEDEX can touch the flat rate box when the weight gets up. Its not even close.

22 pounds in a flat rate box is no problem at all. The lead bullet sellers just love those boxes; packed tightly they can end up with nearly 70 pounds going out.
Mark

OK, here's a picture. It's 8.25" dia. and 3" tall:
faceplate_4.JPG

USPS Priority Mail box size up to 12x12x8, part #is 0-BOX7, weight limit is 70lbs, no deformation permissible. Free for the asking, they are delivered to my door in bundles of 25, some assembly required.
For priority mail only $8.10 basic rate.
Order here
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11637&langId=-1
Fast delivery, delivery confirmation included. For heavy stuff I set a smaller box inside and cocoon. The cocoon method helps me get rid of the extra ghost farts, the packing peanut thingys that breed like cockroaches. Never any damage yet, and no added fuel surcharge like brown man. :D
Oh, they pick up free too, next day. Same day pickup is extra.

USPS Priority Mail box size up to 12x12x8
That size box is not flat rate.

The flat rate boxes ship for $8.10 with any weight, and come in two sizes:

11 1/8 x 8 1/2 x 5 3/4 and
11 3/4 x 13 3/4 x 3 3/8

Neither one gives much room for padding around an 8 1/4" faceplate that is 3" tall.

-Dave

Seems all the responses so far have addressed "can you do it".

I think the better question is "should you do it"

My answer to that is NO!

If you had a shipping calculator on your auction the buyer knew when he bid what your rate was.

If it is more comfortable to you/easier to pack it in a nice large heavy box with plenty of packing and ship ups, then trying to cram it into a flat rate box and worrying about damage, then that is what you should do.

What is the difference in price?

If were selling that I would offer it shipped in a fixed rate box. Period. It's a solid piece of iron for Pete's sake! Oh, sorry Pete. How is it gonna get damaged! Are they loading trucks with D8 Cats now?

Just had four flat rate boxes shipped from San Diego to Wisconsin ,they averaged over 50# each.

Just tape them up good !!

A casting like that should be no problem.

P.O.

for me, it's gonna depend on how cordial the guy has been up until now. once in a while i forget about the flat rate boxes...in this case, you were concerned about the object making it. i would tell him you will ship it flat rate, but are going to charge a take two pieces of plywood that just fit into the box and sandwhich the cast iron between. use lots of tape on the plywood, then pack very densly with cardboard on the inside of the flat rate box. hell, fill empty space with plywood...it doesn't matter. tape the heck out of the box and send it on it's way.

BTW...good idea to put a label on the inside of the package as well. Taped to the stock, or the inside "box". This way if for some reason the box does get cracked, it still has an owner.

-Jacob

RimCanyon may be right, my shipping is usually about 15lbs. It's always $8.10 + ins at the flat rate, though that's the box I use. Now it's got me wondering why :confused:
I'm trying hard to prove you wrong but I can't just yet. I read a lot of postal regs for shipping, but I gotta go back to 'em; it's not an everyday thingy.
WHY is this :confused:
Right or wrong, I'll find out and report back. I know rates have changed (up- go figure) so I've missed something here. BUT 70lbs is the limit for flat rate ,I'm pretty sure of that.
I would stick with the posted shipping though.
More to follow.....

Your the seller, you decide how its going to ship, thats what I do. Heres the HOWEVER part, I always state it in the description! Uncrichie...

I would never ship anything heavy in a USPS flat rate box. You might injure a postal employee by making them work.
(any of you that got my friends aluminum discs, keep quiet)
They went all over this country, and adjoining ones, and managed to make it. Only ones I had any problem with, went to the next state (Ga)
I would package them, tape them twice, (make sure to leave the flat rate box emblem showing)and ship them on their merry way.
David from Jax

Back