What's new
What's new

Thompson Grinder

Anchor

Cast Iron
I have a chance to make what seems like a decent deal.

A guy wants to trade me a Hydraulic Thompson grinder for a small Index mill and a $150. I don't know anything about grinding, nor do I have any use for this thing. It just seems like a no brainer on my end to take the deal.

There wasn't a model number cast into the machine but, there was a stamped number, 2F652683 - All Shields #89. The table measured 8 or 10 X 32. 2HP motor. It came from a local Vo-tech school.

Any thoughts?

Anchor, The serial # would indicate its a 1965 vintage with an 8" X 24" work area. These were an excellent machine when new and if its in decent shape shoul be a good deal. I have an operating manual for a 2F #572263. If you need a copy, let me know. Good Luck. Martin

I ran one before - and even made a anvil out of a piece of railroad rail with one. They are a good machine.. Just make sure that it works before you buy it.

Some of them have a problem with the hydrolic's. After years of neglect and abuse - they tend to stop working. Stay in the dwell too long or the head gets jumpy.

Thompson must have sold a bunch of them to schools - because that was the first place I ever used one - at a Vo Tech.

Make sure to get all the grind stones. They are probably worth more than the grinder.

Did the Index Mill come from a school also?

I don't have any history behind the Index Mill. The machine is painted green and looks original. It is not operating at the moment but I don't think I can go wrong if I buy it. I was only asking $400 for the mill so, I would be getting a heavy piece of equipment for $550 without paying a dime for delivery. It doesn't look like it was used much, it still has the Vo-Tech sticker on it Ford City area.

Here is a pic of the machine, it was dark and taken with my cell phone. I'm going to look at it again today with someone more experienced.

Thompson.jpg

I just got this thing wired in. Spindle sounds nice and the table feeds smooth from what I can tell.

I'm a little confused about the hand feed. Can you manually move this table side to side?

i have an older 6 x 18, on mine if you turn the hydraulic speed knob (black one on the left in front of you) all the way to the left it puts the machine in manual or if you don't start the hydraulic pump it it in manual hand wheel
hope this helps,
dave

good afternoon,rickey brown from hamilton's industrial machine shop ,motego bay jamaica.just got a b-42579,thompson, great condition,need user manual.can anyone help?

Back