What's new
What's new

Japanese Manual Lathes?

Fuzzbean

Cast Iron
Anybody know of any good quality manual lathes currently being made/sold by big-name Japanese machine companies? Links would be nice.

I'm looking for something about 12x36 or 14x40, inch-wise. So far I've looked at what Takisawa offers, but wanted to shop around before I started whining for one. :D

Fuzzbean:

We should be asking that question of you. You are there.

It is my way offshore understanding that when the big name Japanese makers went to CNC, they discontinued making manual machines. Many of their designs went to Korea and are being made there.

So if you want a new Japanese manual lathe, you will have to get it from Korea.

Otherwise, the country should be crawling with used Okuma's, Yamazaki's, Mori's, etc.

Yeah, yeah... They said the same thing when I asked about metric boring heads. :D

The thing is, I can't read or write or speak Japanese to any degree, most of the people here don't speak English, most of them have no knowledge of machinery, and our tool supply guy (who seems to have a monopoly here) is darn near useless except to provide the same tools as last week and 10 years ago. If I try to search the internet in English or romanized words, all I get is sites in the US or England or Australia. I don't know too much about Japanese machinery manufacturers myself, but figured somebody here might.

A machine made in Korea or Taiwan would be OK, if it had support here in Japan. Import dealers and used machinery dealers seem scarce as hen's teeth over here. :confused:

If it was me, I would call or email Mori, in Nagoya. A company that big has got to have a guy who speaks english- probably they have rooms full of american trained engineers.
I have found in my trips to japan that japanese are very willing to help, if they can, and if you can talk to a Japanese market lathe salesman, even if he only sells CNC lathes, my guess is he would know who his counterparts are who rep and sell manual lathes. That seems to be the way it works in every other industry.

Thanks for the links and advice, guys. Come to think of it, I did once e-mail Nikken in Osaka about getting some R-8 tooling, and although they couldn't help me they did respond politely in English. I'll try to contact those outfits, and any other likely suspects I can think of. We have an old Yamazaki manual lathe here, but I had already tried to research that a bit and it doesn't look like they sell manual ones anymore. Maybe I'll pester them anyway.

Back