What's new
What's new

Unusual tooling

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
Where does one find unusual tooling?

I'm looking for a 5C collet closer assembly that fits a 50 taper spindle in a tool grinding workhead.

I can find adapters for 50mm to R-8, 50mm to Morse, 50 to B&S, and etc....... but no 50mm to 5C. Anywone have any ideas?

Cyclotronguy

Good question..... and why is it they never made a mill with a 5C spindle..... it is like somewhere someone got this idea you must have one set of collets, etc for your mill and another for your lathe?

I think only a few wise companies made stuff that fit both... P & W's 4PN for their little bench lathe and mill...... Schaublin and Aciera with their w-12 and w-20 sizes.... Makes sense to me....

Actually there is a mill with 5c tooling.... the little Hardinge Horizontal.

The 5 cataract seems to be the ubiquitous collet for punch grinding and the like, every spin jig takes these. Pretty handy for square, hex and other stock

Yet the manual tool grinders seem to follow Cincinatti's 1930 lead for 6H or something equally
useful.

But, back to the question at hand. Anyone make such a thing?

Cyclotronguy

Well it is not what you asked exactly, but i have a #2 Cincinnati Tool and cutter grinder with a powered work head. It is a no 50 NMTB taper on one end and a No12 B&S on the opposite. The machine accepts 5c collets with a factory #12 B&S - 5C adapter sleve, a hadn wheel draw bar and a tapered sleve to close off the #50 for the handwheel.
So possibley a #50 to 12 B&S sleve and one of these adapters would work.
Cheers Ross

Back