What's new
What's new

OT - free shipping

ralphe

Aluminum
Can anyone solve the following riddle designed to get free shipping to "Sierra Trading": "This first lady was a head of state before being minted circa thirty three."

Edith Wilson was the only first lady that I know that was "head of state" in the sense that once her husband President Thomas Woodrow Wilson suffered his stroke in 1919 she "ran" the goverment while the President was "hiding" from the rest of the Goverment not to show how disabled he became because of the stroke.

Got no idea what the "33" is about though. :(

Queen Elizabeth II wasnt in office till 1953, she was born in 1926 so I dont think it was her being minted in 1933. However Queen Wilhelmina from the Netherlands was in power in 1933.

This one is tricky sorry I cant help.

Dimitri

Sorry I'm not up on my British numismatics, but what year was the first coin with Elizabeth I
minted?

Phoenix, you're right on this one, the foreign coin collectors on this site need to help us out here because it's not an American coin I'm aware of.

Billy

First coin that was minted with Elizabeth 1 should have been while she was still in power and at the start of her reign which would have been 1558-1559. Since even today coins are stamped in the Commonwealth with the current head of state.

Only women I know that was in power in 1933 or earlyer that had coins minted in 1933 while they were ruling is Queen Wilhelmina. Which by the way the Netherlands 10 guilder gold coins were minted in 1911 to 1917 and 1925 to 1933 for her. And 1933 is the last year they were produced.

Don't know of any other women as head of state in any other country execpt Queen Victoria who died in 1901 but she was minted before 1933.

Dimitri

Back