What's new
What's new

Standard Modern 1334 lathe

Wreckluse

Plastic
I've been lurking here for a month or so, gathering information, as I look for a lathe for my shop. It is a great site with a wealth of information (most of it currently beyond my capabilities!!)

I had been originally been looking at new import machines, but this forum convinced me to curb my impatience and wait for a european or north american machine. I visited a local equipment dealer today and found a beautiful Standard Modern 1334 stuck in a corner. It apparently came out of a local college when they shut down their machining program due to lack of interest. The machine was only used sporadically for a couple of years, according the dealer, who has reputation for honesty. They have had no luck selling it, probably because it is metric threading only and 208V 3 ph. It runs extremely quiet, bed & ways show no measureable wear and the original paint is exceptional. It has 3 & 4 jaw chucks, tool post, live/dead centers, keyless drill chuck and some tooling with a couple of tool holders. It does not have steady/follow rests or a coolant system.

Now for a couple of questions:
-they quoted me $4,200.00 (Cdn) delivered to my shop - fair price for a good machine??? - I'm looking for value for my dollar rather than a cheap machine.

-how hard would it be to find the rests, particularly the steady rest? I've looked on the net with no success. Try Standard Modern direct??

-could you suggest sources for phase converters and give me positives and negatives regarding VFD vs rotary?

Thanks,
Doug

S-M 1334 is a nice lathe. Still made by S-M in Mississauga Ontario http://www.standard-modern.com/. It's no Monarch, but its light years ahead of the majority of imports.

I have a 1340, which is the big brother to the one you are looking at. I paid $1800 from a dealer in Ottawa. It also had come from a college, but has some bed wear, and had issues with the QC gearbox. I only got a 3 jaw chuck with it.

Tooling is generic, and can be had on Ebay or from the local Industrial suppliers.
Accessories and parts are available, but expensive from Leblond in the US who have the parts franchise.
A steady rest could be adapted from a more available type, and I wouldn't bother with the POS follow rest they sell. I made one that is much more adjustable ( I can send you a picture if you are interested)

Regards the 208 3ph thing, you have a couple of options 1) buy a VFD. if you shop carefully you should be able to buy one for about $150.They reportedly work very well. 2) Rotary converter, A "roll you own" project, that could be done for no more than a VFD 3) replace the motor probably $150-200.
I initially ran my 208 3ph machine on a rotary, but due to some other issues with the motor I bought a 3hp single phase motor from Princess Auto when they were on sale. I continue to run my mill and another lathe on the converter.

Is it worth the asking price?? Hard call. Depending on the availability of machinery where you live, and the accessories it might be. Take the comments of some here, about buying a used "project" US made machine with a grain of salt. Many posters live in "machine tool heaven", and price and availability is much better. Shipping anything can be a PIA and expensive.
I just bought a Wells-Index mill in Connecticut for short money, but will have to spend more than the price of the machine to get it home. ( and I have a buddy there who can help with this project.

I'd buy another S-M in a heart beat.

Cheers
Pete
Sudbury Ontario

As Shape says, it is a generally good machine, built to meet the competition
from China, or more realistically, the Chinese machines are an SM copy or
copy of the SM progenitor where ever that came from. This is another
way to say they look very similar. CC where I spent a yr had a bunch of
Southbend 12x36 that were made in Taiwan and cost about $9k 10-12yrs
ago and are clones of the SM progenitor. They recently bought 6 SM 12x36
lathes for a price in the $12-14k range, fully equipped and look very much like
the SB 12x36 that are still in use. The CC likes Pratt-Burnerd chucks so this
contributes a significant $$ to the cost noted. All of these are
light duty lathes in the 1000-1200# range (or 1600# or so with base, chucks, rests
etc), not to be confused with Monarch
class lathes of the same inch size but weighing 3-4x as much. The $4200
is a good commercial price for a lathe that, new, runs 3-4x that. You might be
a little stunned at what SM wants for parts but I have no direct knowledge
of this.

I bought a S.M. 1340 lathe about 4 years ago from yarn factory (or something like that) for $1600 plus shipping.

It cam with steady rest, 4 jaw, 3 jaw and some misc. tooling.

As previously stated for the price they are very nice machines.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will inspect the lathe with a machinist friend tomorrow to make sure it is in as good shape as it looks. I'll also check the chucks/tooling to find out who made them.

The best local price on a chinese 12x36 is $3000 and as you mentioned, it is nowhere near the quality of the SM. If the SM is in good shape, I will negogiate the best deal I can and get it.

Shape, I would really like a picture of your follow rest. I found a picture of the SM one, and can see why you rate it a POS. I will wait to get it home before I decide what to do about powering it up, but am leaning towards changing the motor to single phase. My single phase measures 245V, at the plug I would use for the machine

sch, thanks for the pricing analysis. It helped me decide to get the SM over an import. As you mentioned, I'll take into consideration the quality of the chucks (and tooling). With some luck, I may not need to purchase expensive OEM parts for it.

Any more input would be welcome.
Thanks again,
Doug

When I worked in an aerospace shop years ago we had a Monarch tool room lathe that gathered dust. The reason was we had a big Standard Modern. I've never operated a better lathe in my life than that Standard Modern. If I was a Canadian, I would be proud to be from a country that produced such fine equipment.

I have not seen the lathe you mention, but if it is like the one in my minds eye, you are fortunate to get a lathe of that quality for that kind of money.

oldbrock

Sounds like one that came out of the shop I taught in at Wm I Hay high school in Stettler AB They are a beautiful lathe and you can get the gearing to cut imperial threads from Standard Modern. I had students running them for about 10 years and found them to be almost bullet proof. When we had them they were fully equipped with both steadys, taper attachment and 3 and 4 jaw chucks also a rubber flex collet chuck, 1/8 to 1 1/4" and an Armstrong QC toolpost. Get it you will love it. Peter

Thanks for all your input guys!!
We went down and checked the lathe out completely today. Ways perfect, 1/2 nuts-.012 play, all slides tight and no measureable wear. Does not come with all the items listed as standard on the SM website and is no doubt more expensive than for those of you in an equipment rich area. I wound up paying $4000 out the door, delivered to my shop, with a tooling purchase plan of cost plus 5% for the first month. For me, this is great-a quality lathe at a price equivalent to a cheap Chinese copy.

FWIW-both chucks are Pratt, it comes with 2 live centers and some other odds and ends. It has a good turret tp, but not much in the way of high quality tooling.

Now all they have to do is deliver it!

regards,
Doug

Standard Modern 1334 Lathe

I operate a 20-120 SM everyday at work. It is one of the finest lathes I've ever operated. Sounds like a very good find. Hope you get it.
Gary

Bought one for our plant years ago.
Nice Lathe.
Don't forget one of the selling features ...
The leadscrew is reversable, when you get wear near the headstock, you can flip it end to end.
I always wondered why no one else had the same forethought !

I bought my Standard Modern 1340 last summer for $1500 and am getting around to reconditioning it. I had to pick it up in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and hauled it home to Moncton, NB.

It's just what i've been looking for. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, quick change tool post, taper attachment. I bought a reconditioned 3 HP single phase 240V motor to run it (which bolts right up). I'm heading out to the garage to start wiring it up.

the monarch comparison makes no sense, no one's confusing a SM with a Monarch, one's an engine lathe ones a tool room lathe. like any decent western world engine lathe (are they they only one left?) they are light years ahead of the mainland Chinese stuff. Good machines imo, on my second now.

the current SM company is not the same as the original, they were out of business for years so new owners may or may not be making them as well etc. Some say the old were better, who knows, that may just be prejudice. The original though made everything in Toronto, buried the castings for 5 years to age, all that old world quality tool lore....for all I know the new SM is bolting together off shore stuff.....bet they aren't burying castings

Ford Machinery in Richmond Hill Ontario is a used machinery dealer and used to have a bunch of SM parts/accessories (more before i darkened the doorstep). So many came out the schools that a lot used equipment dealers ended up with bits a pieces. challenge is, there may not be anyone there who knows what to look for :D

standard modern 1334, sharp 1440f or victor 1440g

I have also been wondering about the quality of the standard modern 1334 lathe compared to the Taiwan sharp and victor lathes of appx the same size.
I currently own a heavy 10 but am considering a brand new gear head lathe.
Any thoughts on my choices.
thanks,
John

I believe you will really like using your lathe. I have a Standard Modern 13 X 30 and a Standard Modern 13 X 40. The 13 X 30 is up and running and making chips. Just finished machining a follow rest and just used it for cutting a 9/16 X 8 LH thread on the replacement crossfeed screw for that lathe.
The 13 X 40 was bought without the crossfeed screw assembly for the telescopic taper attachment. Been trying to ID the parts so that I can build them also. Posted on some forums and have gotten a few responses that have been helpful. Must not be too many guys that use them.
Parts are available, some they may have to make and quite a few they have in stock. The deal you got with the 30 day parts costs and 5% sounds pretty good, I'd surely make a list of what I wanted or needed and take them up on the deal ! Don't know where the mark-up is but down here in the US, the parts are quite expensive, but, of good quailty ! If you find a used 1334 with some faults, cheap enough, grab it up it may save you a lot down the road !
Enjoy your Lathe, it's by far better that anything coming out of the East !
Cheers,
Jimmydee

Back