What's new
What's new

OT TPO roof membrane for a pool

dsergison

Diamond
I have an in-ground pool with a sand bottom, it requires a liner, about $900 for the liner alone..

I have a bunch of TPO (thermoplastic polyolefin) roofing material, free. I have lots of it in black, and some in vanilla. And I can seam it. I did my roof two years ago. It's easy to work with.

I wish to "roof" my pool. I am having trouble finding information about chlorine chemical compatibility.

Is this workable?

ok I did find this table, http://www.rtpcompany.com/info/guide/resistance.htm

I suppose pool water is a weak acid?

If memory serves, my pool was just north of a 7 pH, so it would be neutral to very mildly caustic (acidic would burn your eyes). Water permiabilty under constant wetting may be issue - a roof sheds water by nature, not retains it.

I thought about doing that for a pond liner (gold fish). I was cautioned by the manufacturer that they use an anti fungal something or another in their product (reduce mold and mildew) and it would probably not be condusive for biological habitation.

Flat roofs often have puddles that dont leak, maybe your pool is just a big puddle.

The black color would heat things up a lot, but the beer will cool you off

Try it... Whatcha got to loose?

Maybe paint it with ...
http://www.sanitred.com/WaterFountain.htm

Maybe paint the liner you have now with sanitred ? again, whacha got to loose?

I want to line my swimming pool. and use it for ME, not fishies.

I was concerned about the pool chemicals. I am going to quit worrying and just do it.

I'm going to do it in black. it will be quite the conversation piece I think. (I need all the white that I have for my roof)

I plan to light it with led lights. it should look very unique

How did it turn out?

How did it turn out? I was thinking about doing something similar with a fountain.

I have an in-ground pool with a sand bottom, it requires a liner, about $900 for the liner alone..

I have a bunch of TPO (thermoplastic polyolefin) roofing material, free. I have lots of it in black, and some in vanilla. And I can seam it. I did my roof two years ago. It's easy to work with.

I wish to "roof" my pool. I am having trouble finding information about chlorine chemical compatibility.

Is this workable?

ok I did find this table, Chemical & Environmental Resistance of Thermoplastics

I suppose pool water is a weak acid?

Back