What's new
What's new

Looking for steel bushing material

Lca078

Hot Rolled
I need to make 4 thin wall steel bushings out of hardened steel. The ID is just over 1.5", the OD is ~1.685", and the length is 1". Since the OD is an odd size, I believe I'll have to make them myself. My problem is that I don't have a heat treating furnace so I'm trying to find heat treated tubing that I can cut/machine to spec. Anyone know of an online supplier that would have this type of material and would be willing to sell it in such small quantities? Any other suggestions would be also appreciated.

Rex

John-

I never thought about the drill bushings. I have used needle bearing races in place of other steel bushings when a direct fit. I was just hoping to avoid a dirty grind job. Also, I did a cursory look in MSC and didn't find the right size drill bushing. I'll try McMaster next.

Thanks.

Hi Rex:

Grand Tool in catalog DBJ-06 is trying to get rid of about a half a million of them.

Phone is (800) 922-0512.

There is no hardened tubing that I am aware of. There is solid pre hard 4140, but nowhere near as hard as a drill bushing or inner race for needle bearing.

There is an OD grinder sitting here if you need it. If the ID is also a little odd, you local engine rebuilder no doubt has a Sunnen hone set up .

John

Back