What's new
What's new

cutting plexi-glass

Allen,
My students and I worked with acrylic years ago and we used soapy water as a lube. Works well. I used medium RPM's and low feed rates to prevent burning and melting. You might have to wipe everything down well after working to prevent rust.

could be the kind of plex..... I know there are different grades... some scratch resistant ...some uv and some are easier to machine.... as I recall Rohm & Hass used to use blue printing on the protective paper for there machine grade

Rivett is right. I've cut a lot of Plexiglas
masters on a CNC mill, and there are 3 grades
that I know of. The label colors were the key
to knowing which one you had. The brown and
green label products are rubbery, and load up
on the cutter. The blue label is cast acrylic
and will cut clean with regular tooling and
fast spindle speeds. We cut dry with no problems. When we would drill this stuff, we
would stone the cutting edges of the drill to
create a little "land" of 0 degree rake so the drill would not be as likely to grab. The
Blue label Plexi also polishes well, you can
make it look like glass, but it can chip if
you feed too fast. Save the brown stuff for
windows! JM

I worked in a Plexiglas shop many years ago and they used a router to cut plexi all the time without a melting problem. In fact, almost all cutting was done with woodworking type tools.

I cut plexiglas often in my CNC. I use oil/water soluble and never have any problems in cutting. Just remember to not let it flex....horse it down snug. For holes I always use a 2 flute end mill rather than drill as it breaks out clean on the opposite side. Seems drills never do. Also on the CNC I can size the hole by orbiting. All the grades of plexi. I have worked with are easy to obtain see-through window glass quality surface. Heat and flexing are the things to avoid.

TMD

Back