What's new
What's new

Metric threads on a Clausing 5914?

Hanz

Cast Iron
Threading is not one of my strong points...I need to chase a metric thread on the end of a crankshaft, 1.5 pitch. I have tried to 'fumble around' finding a US tpi equivilent but can't seem to get it...can this be done on my Clausing? FWIW, I only need to chase the end, about 1/2 inch, so if it's not exact that will be fine for this application, just enough to get the nut started.

BTW no this cannot be cleaned up with a thread file or a die, it is mushroomed over and the diameter is swollen, so it needs to be cut on the lathe. Thanks

Clausing sold a metric change gear set for these lathes but they seem to bring a lot of money on the used market ($600+) so that's probably not an option for you. If I did the math right, 1.5 picth is around 16.9 tpi and the closest standard threads on the 5914 are 16 and 18 tpi so that doesn't seem to offer much help either.

Would it be possible to shave the OD down and then use a die or thread file?

Mike

Just a followup- Mike I did as you suggested, and as I have done before, turned the OD down, chamfered the end, and then worked it with a thread file first and then a trianglar file, bluing the threads first to contrast where I have filed, then using plenty of oil while trying the nut to help prevent ruining the threads in the nut. Took a little while but came out fine.

Carl its a Cat 3404

Thanks-Hanz

Back