What's new
What's new

Miniature Surface Grinder

RioDPax

Aluminum
Is there any such thing? Everything I find is over 800 pounds. I don't need precision, just a quick way of getting low carbon tubes to nest. I've used angle grinders, belt sanders, mounted points in a mill, a Type 27 wheel on a table saw where I put the fence up and shove the tube through, and all kind of other variations of removing what is just minimal steel off the tube to get it to nest. They make mini-mills, mini-lathes, and mini-about everything else, but I've never seen a surface grinder that is somewhat portable. I thought about getting one of those Powermatic Drum Sanders(they have a table top model) but I figure they can't work any better than my belt sander. Hot Rolled sq tube isn't exactly precision stuff. Seems like there is always some minor dip on every side. The edges are OK, but the flats take a lot of wasted energy to flatten. Anybody know any shortcuts? A 7" angle grinder does the trick, but then the tube is all scarred up and I have to go back and polish it up. These tubes have to extend(exercise equipment) and I don't want them looking all sloppy. I use 11 gauge on all the tubes. Using 14 gauge on the outer tube works, but then the fit is sloppy.

Here is a bench model surface grinder, but I doubt it will do for what you are talking about.
P1010480.jpg

The trouble with small surface grinders is the capacity is small. This one is 4" x 8" tops. Sounds to me like the pieces you are working with are far too big for a small surface grinder. Also bear in mind that surface grinders don't take off a large amount of material quickly.

Here's the people who made this one. I think they're out of business now though.

P1010481.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "getting the tubes to nest". If you are mitering the ends for welding or something similar, try a masonry blade in a radial arm saw. Makes nice, precise fit-ups.

If I understand you right this is for telescoping (one tube fits inside another so the length may be extended).I dont know your quanities ,but would it pay you to make something ? A drum sander mounted on an arm with a screw used as a stop for your heigth over a roller table .Woulnt take alot.Add some driven nip rolls for large quanities.My father made something like this for wood , worked pretty good.

It sounds like he's trying to fit one tube inside the other for a telescoping effect. I'd suggest you find someone with a timesaver to sand the four sides of the tube, it will take the dips and weaves out, plus give a good visual look to the tube. I've done it a few times on my Performax drum sander, but without a rubber wheels, the aluminum drum gets too hot, expands, dives into the aluminum or steel being ground and trashes everything.

You can make a radial arm saw into a grinder, either a hard blade vertical, slide tubing against fence. Or turn motor vertical and mount welders cup grinding rock on shaft, set distance above table, clamp/nail guides on table.. Sears used to show this setup in their handbook. I think the cup rock would be more durable. A 12" table disc sander with a fence may work also. Rough with one, polish with other. Good luck.

It sounds like he's trying to fit one tube inside the other for a telescoping effect. I'd suggest you find someone with a timesaver to sand the four sides of the tube, it will take the dips and weaves out, plus give a good visual look to the tube.
Exactly. Wish they made something like a wood planer for metal. Round tubes are no problem. I just stick them in the lathe and hit them with the grinder attachment. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Square tubing is available that's made specifically to telescope. Don't know if it would give you the fit you're looking for, but its out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know. But it costs about 4 times as much as plain hot-rolled. I'm cheap and I only do this as a hobby. Thanks.

maybe a punch and die grinder would work.The type they use for strippit tooling.They have a chuck that holds the tool then the grinder swings across kinda like a small Blanchard.Maybe someone knows who sells these.Happy Holidays,Martin

If you are finishing the round tubes in the lathe why not chuck up the square tubes in a four jaw and do the same? Neal

Back