What's new
What's new

Need Info/Advice on Tri-Onics Model 100 DRO

Dick Streff

Aluminum
I bought a $2.50 lot at an auction yesterday that included a Tri-Onics Model 100 two axis display and scales. Generally I would assume any DRO loose in the bottom of a box is ready for the scrap heap but this one was packaged with enough care that maybe someone went to that trouble for a reason.

When I power up the box all I get is a flashing zero on the first digit on each axis. Connecting the scales doesn't seem to have any effect. I haven't been able to push any combination of buttons that make a difference either. A couple three of the buttons make the beeper go off but nothing else happens.

Is there some magic combination I am missing? Quite possibly the thing is just burnt toast, but it might be a nice unit if I could get it working. It is more fully featured than the Sony I have of similar vintage (which I got for a couple bucks at the same sale a few years earlier).

By chance does anyone have any literature or schematics pertaining to this model? I have found contact info for Tri-Onics via there website and will pursue that during business hours next week. But I'm not holding out much hope as they seem to have abandoned proprietary manufacturing a decade or so ago and have went into strictly contract manufacturing of circuit boards, etc.

Thanks,
Dick

Hello Dick. I have a Trionics model 'pro-max' here. The only time it flashes is on power up and when a bad scale is connected. Remove the scales and try this - it works for my unit. On power up, hold down the reset button for a sec. A quick tap will not do it, but a second or so will zero it out and get it functioning.

Once it is on, set your base position by "X" "1.256" (or whatever you dim;n is) "preset".
This is for a pro-max series but may be of help to you.

Trionics did give up these many years ago. I do have some info on the scales & pinouts from them though.

I'm looking for a 10-14" scale and a ~72" scale- if for some reason you have one that you want to part with or if the head unit is toast.

Damon,

Do you still have the pinouts available? I have a tri-onics CNC that I'm in the process of revamping. I'm wanting to use my existing scales for closed loop feedback and the pinouts could come in handy if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks,

Greg

Tri-onics Digital Readout

Damon,

Do you still have the pinouts available? I have a tri-onics CNC that I'm in the process of revamping. I'm wanting to use my existing scales for closed loop feedback and the pinouts could come in handy if it's not too much trouble?

Thanks,

Greg

Does anyone have a manual for a Tri-onics DRO? I have a mill that had pickups but no readout. I purchased a Tri-onics readout and it is not accurate for some reason. I can zero it out, and then when I move the table 0.010" (on dial indicator) the DRO reads 0.008". This is fairly consistent and in both x & y directions. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Chad

Does anyone have a manual for a Tri-onics DRO? I have a mill that had pickups but no readout. I purchased a Tri-onics readout and it is not accurate for some reason. I can zero it out, and then when I move the table 0.010" (on dial indicator) the DRO reads 0.008". This is fairly consistent and in both x & y directions. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Chad
I have a manual for Tri-onics Digital Position Display System Model 500, if that helps.

thanks,
Chris

Back