BCarter is offline Cast Iron

I bought one of these saws the other day and haven't yet found a manual for it, so I'm looking for a couple of pieces of information:

1: What size blade does this saw use?

2: What lubricant does the gearbox use?

Hope one of you guys can help me out, as I know from posts that several of you have this saw.

Thanks,
    Brad

Team FAST is offline Aluminum

Just out of curiosity, where did you find yours? I have been looking locally for one (DFW area) for some time.

thanks,
    erik

I ran across this saw at an auction, and thought it would be a worthy replacement for my 14" Delta woodcutting saw. There's no comparison in terms of construction; now if I could only get it running (three phase, unfortunately)...

old_dave is offline Hot Rolled

From my manual: Blade length is min 94", max 96". The transmission is filled with 1 1/2 pints of "40 weight" oil. Further it says the transmission is sealed and does not require an oil change. Hope this helps. These are nice little bandsaws. Too bad they are no longer part of the Powermatic line.
    David

David, thanks a lot. When I moved the saw a little oil ran out of the gearbox and I guessed it to be 30 or 40 weight. It looked clean and probably doesn't need to be changed, but I'll change it anyway so I'll know it's OK.

Brad

I think you can find the manual by drilling a little bit into the Old Woodworking Machines site.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Publications.asp?ID=655

There is a 900k version and a 6 Mb version...not sure what the difference is right now.

They are great solid bandsaws for the size...IMHO the stoutest 14" saw you can buy.

I would use non-detergent oil in the transmission.

Hi Matt. I thought I might hear from you as I know you have a high opinion of these saws. Thanks for the tip on the manual; I wasn't aware of the Old Woodworking Machines site. Right now I'm considering my options to power the machine, and I may go with your approach and put a home-brew phase converter inside somewhere.

Brad

Brad, I don't know if you dug into the archives, or even if there is any worthwhile info in there...the converter that my Dad and I built for his saw was an auto-start static...I can supply a few more details if interested.

It made sense for him as it is his only 3 phase machine and a bandsaw doesn't require a whole lot of horsiepower.

Yes, I'm generally aware of what has been posted about building static and rotary phase converters, and I could build a static converter for the saw (I'll talk to you if I do). But another option I have is to swap the 3 phase bandsaw motor with my 1 phase drill press motor and then run the drill press from a VFD (giving me variable speed where I need it). This latter approach is the one I prefer if I can keep the $$$ low.

Brad