What's new
What's new

Nu Era cabinets

hooligan

Aluminum
I know we see so many posts as to the quality and price of Lista and Vidmar cabinets. What about the quality of Nu Era? Reason I ask is I just got a call from a buddy a few hours away saying his company is getting rid of some. These are of the 60"Tx60"W variety - some with 9 deep drawers and some with 12 shallower drawers. I can grab them for $200 each.

Are they are on par with Lista and Vidmar, or are they a step down; and if so a big step down or just a bit? :confused:

they are slightly lower quality but unless you have the lista/vidmars right next to them to compare, you will never know the difference. At that price you should buy every one that you can get. You can easily get $600-700 each for them on ebay.

Actually, the "thingies" in that cabinet are quick change pneumatic fittings that cost thousand of dollars new. If any are ball bearing swivel type, even more. I used to use a 8mm hose fitting on my tapping machines that was $25 ~each~ !

Is this the same Nu Era that sells store fixtures mostly (including "fixtures" such as below ! :eek: ) If so, I can't find any cabinets on their website. Looks like the one that Reliable had was actually made by "Rack" engineering for Nu Era...never heard of Rack. Looks like pretty decent cabinet though.

femaleadultmann.jpg

Perhaps "Rack" engineering evolved into female manequin manufacture ? :D
www.nu-era.com

Yeah, I may head out to the local used industrial surplus place (2 hrs south) and buy 100-200 lbs worth of bolts, nuts etc to fill some with :D

How much per pound is reasonable for fasteners out of curiosity?

I recently purchased a few Nu-Era cabinets at auction. I already own several Lista and Vidmar cabinets and needed additional storage to organize hundreds of perishable, cutting tools. The New-Era cabinets were in good condition but lacked dividers and partitions. Contacting Rack Engineering, (manufacturer of Nu-Era cabinets) I was shocked to learn their drawer hardware was 2X-3X the pricing of Kennedy, Lista, Rousseau and Vidmar. In hind sight, wished I'd never purchased these Nu-Era cabinets and waited until some Lista or Vidmar became available. I'm curious, has anyone been this route and found a close fit as an alternative to Nu-Era hardware?

Back