What's new
What's new

O.T. Weight of a 12 oz and a 16 oz aluminum cans

ipstoneys

Plastic
Can anyone help with telling me the weight of a empty 12 oz and the weight of a empty 16 oz aluminum can?TIA Chris :confused:

It depends on the can. Diet Coke cans are quite a bit thinner than the rest.

What sort of 16oz were you thinking of - some of the Australian ones are quite heavy.

Chris P

You need to find someone who reloads ammunition and has a loading scale (you'll need to convert from grains to whatever unit of measure you're looking for).

Well to be honest its a coca cola "and or coca cola products"12 oz. can.The 16 oz. is a stoneys beer can.Math wise, I think if you take the dia. the length.The thickness?? Cant you come up with a weight?Or if I cheat and set them on a digital weight scale????Thanks Chris

Aluminum cans are made using the draw and iron method. First a disc is punched out of a sheet. Today they are getting either 12 or 14 discs out of the width of the sheet. Their is a very slight variation in the thickness of the sheet from center to edge. This is needed for tracking through the rolling mill for stearing. The discs are then punched into cups with the bottom configuration. The cups then are places in a die and a ring is pulled up the outside to form the sides of the can. This reduces the thickness of the wall with the bottom of the can remaining the original thickness. The can is then trimmed for the proper height and the top flange/neck is formed. Each of the can companies have their own design for the cans based on strength needed for the product that will be in the can. All of the cans have a coating on the inside so that the products taste is not affected by the aluminum. The label on the can is an ink. The lids also have some difference in design.

Depending on how accurate you have to be on weight will determine how you go about finding the weight of a specific can. Weighing it on a scale would be the most accurate for a particular can.

Can thickness and design has changed over time so has the weight of the cans.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Sandman, worked in the aluminum industry for 30+ years. All aspect of the industry including rolling mill which made can stock. Got involved with all of the problems that the can plants with gage, earing, tearoffs etc. Roll grind and finish also plays a big roll in deep drawing aluminum.

Did you work in one of the can plants in Jacksonville?

Joe

An accurate scale is your best option. There are several thicknesses plus there will be tapered areas because the aluminum is drawn. Even if you can remember how to do integral calculations it probably will not be as accurate as a good scale. Weigh 10 or more at a time to get a more accurate reading.

Raymond

"Back in the day" (mid 90's - early 2000's) I use to dumpster dive for aluminum. If I recall correctly 20 soda pop cans equaled a US pound.

Example: Calculate the density in g/mL of Classic Coke if a 355 mL can weighs 394 g. Example: Calculate the density in g/mL of Diet Coke if a 355 mL can weighs 355.1 g. The above calculations make the asumption that the weight of the aluminum can is constant.
Gram = .0353 ounce
So about 3 cans to the ounce
So about .02 (two cents per can..I think.
Cans are less than pure aluminum price.

Interesting thread. If this is already old, we have to take into account that today’s an are probably thinner, with a very thin inner liner to boot. Good luck, Wayne. Oh, just a thought, maybe different countries have different thicknesses.? Wayne.

Back