Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Oil Well Drill Pipe Threads

4GSR is offline Titanium

Wallace,

I don't have anything on "drill rod" or "core tube" threads.

Just doing some "Googling" of "HQ" comes up with that being some kind of metric pitch/form of thread, I'm guessing a 5-10mm pitch. Some of the old "American Iron" threaded drill rod were 3 pitch or 2 pitch thread, modified square thread with a very shallow depth, guessing around .060-.070" deep.

A good machinists should have no problem "reverse engineering" most of the threads that are out there.

Ken

I haven't read through all the posting but I got involved with API threads for a customer and received a great deal of info and help in PM

To solve the "issue" my customer had I came up with this:

http://www.f-m-s.dk/APIthreadmeasurement.pdf

I would also recommend that solid plug and ring gages be purchased to ensure correct thread profile and pitch.

There are several other threads on API threads

sajithv78 is offline Plastic

Dear Ken,

Can you please let me know where I can purchase the latest edition of the Drilco RSC Handbook.

Best regards,
    Sajith.

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by sajithv78 View Post
    Dear Ken,

Can you please let me know where I can purchase the latest edition of the Drilco RSC Handbook.

Best regards,
    Sajith.
    Sajith,

Call Smith, now Schumberger, at 01-281-443-3370, and tell the operator that you want to talk to "Publications" department, once transferrred, tell them what you want. This location is in Houston, Texas. Be prepared to spend $750 USD for one.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Sajith,

Call Smith, now Schumberger, at 01-281-443-3370, and tell the operator that you want to talk to "Publications" department, once transferrred, tell them what you want. This location is in Houston, Texas. Be prepared to spend $750 USD for one.

Ken
    Ken, for $750 I'd expect something like a laptop with the information in it. What is it about the book that makes it so expensive? Drawings, photos, thousands of pages?
    Gordon

johnoder is offline Diamond

What is it about the book that makes it so expensive?

Supply and demand. There are a few pubs and many with the means to pay whatever it takes to get one.

I'd be happy to scan mine for just about anyone for the mentioned amount.

The point being, if you are going to be in the business, you need things that have a high cost, like API gauges.

J.O.

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    What is it about the book that makes it so expensive?

Gordon,

There is a story behind why that little book cost so much.

Back in the late 1970's, you could buy one of these books for $20. A company that was started by ex-Drilco employes decided they would buy some of these books from Drilco. Well after Drilco caugh on to them buying 100's of these little books at a time, they increased the cost of the book to $125 ea. That didn't stop them from buying them. So Drilco again increased the price this time to $250! Well this time, it slowed down the sale of them to this compeditor, but not completly. After six months of this, Drilco put a stop to this, they raised the price to $750!!! each!!! Sales to this compeditor stopped!
    It's been like this for over 30 years now. They still sell them at the $750 price too, even to their own people and divisons of the company!!! If you are a product engineer for Smith, your department only pay's $25 ea for them today. How I know that, I have one from when I worked for them in 2003. I have a collection of these little books that date back to the late 1960's.

Ken

Gordon,

There is a story behind why that little book cost so much.

Back in the late 1970's, you could buy one of these books for $20. A company that was started by ex-Drilco employes decided they would buy some of these books from Drilco. Well after Drilco caugh on to them buying 100's of these little books at a time, they increased the cost of the book to $125 ea. That didn't stop them from buying them. So Drilco again increased the price this time to $250! Well this time, it slowed down the sale of them to this compeditor, but not completly. After six months of this, Drilco put a stop to this, they raised the price to $750!!! each!!! Sales to this compeditor stopped!
    It's been like this for over 30 years now. They still sell them at the $750 price too, even to their own people and divisons of the company!!! If you are a product engineer for Smith, your department only pay's $25 ea for them today. How I know that, I have one from when I worked for them in 2003. I have a collection of these little books that date back to the late 1960's.

Ken
    Ken thanks for the "story". Truly, I live and learn

sajithv78 is offline Plastic

Dear Ken,

Tried to contact Schlumberger / Smith on the no: given and was told that they are shifting offices and did not have a right in-house no:.

Could you possibly get me an email address wh4ere I can ask for more information regarding the Drilco RSC Handbook?

By the way, I am told that lot of the bevel diamteres are being changed from June 2011 and that API has come out with the relevant information on the API Spec. 7-2. Do you think DRILCO might have integrated them in their handbook as well?

I sincerely, appreciate the time and effort you are devoting to a novice in this industry.

Best regards,
    Sajith.

anodyne1 is offline Plastic

I remember Rex. I thought Marvin Eudy was a very cool guy. Not sure about spelling of Marvins last name.
    tomluther@mac.com

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by anodyne1 View Post
    I remember Rex. I thought Marvin Eudy was a very cool guy. Not sure about spelling of Marvins last name.
    tomluther@mac.com
    anodyne,

My Dad worked with those guys many years ago at Drilco.

Marvin's brother, Jim Eudy? worked at Smith in Houston when I was there back in 2003. He's now retired.

Ken Stokley

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by sajithv78 View Post
    Dear Ken,

By the way, I am told that lot of the bevel diamteres are being changed from June 2011 and that API has come out with the relevant information on the API Spec. 7-2. Do you think DRILCO might have integrated them in their handbook as well?
    Sajith.

Sajith,

My apology for not replying sooner.

I have no contacts at Smith that have anything to do with that little book. I'll assure you, if there is any changes to bevel dia's on Rotary Shouldered Connections, there are two companies out there that control this stuff besides API. Yes, Schlumberg/Smith/Drilco is one of them, Grant Prideco is the other, yes, they will intergrate them in their latest releases when available. I think the bevel dia's were changed back in 2004, but again, thats not my expertize. My family just provides cold rolling equipment for rolling the threads on rotary shouldered connections.

Ken

DP-King is offline Plastic

Default CS and PH6

hello, new to the board. This does not apply to rotary shouldered connections, but it appears it may be a good place to find the answer to the following. Does anyone know what CS and PH6 stand for? I know the 6 stands for 6 threads per inch, not so sure what the CS and PH stand for?

Thank You
    DP-King

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by DP-King View Post
    hello, new to the board. This does not apply to rotary shouldered connections, but it appears it may be a good place to find the answer to the following. Does anyone know what CS and PH6 stand for? I know the 6 stands for 6 threads per inch, not so sure what the CS and PH stand for?

Thank You
    DP-King
    CS is flush joint 2-step thread and is generally a 8 pitch. PH is a external/internal upset thread and generally a 6 pitch 2-step thread.
    The CS thread may also be a external upset thread too, I have to go back and look through my stuff someday and check.

As for the CS and PH desinations, who knows? Not sure there's any one left at Hydril that can answer that! Those that developed these threads have been gone for many years now.

Ken

Malcolm-Greig is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by dudee View Post
    Hi,

Im looking for a machine that can make a thread (API) with rotating tools instead of rotating the pipe.

Do you know any machines that can do this?

//Dudee
    There was a company in the UK called insitu (not sure if the spelling is correct) could cut threads on pipe ends without the machine turning.

Just like to add that this is a great thread....brings back so many memories (30 years in this business now in Indonesia (at least I can spell that) looking to move to Vietnam).

Malcolm

Malcolm-Greig is offline Plastic

Sajith,

My apology for not replying sooner.

I have no contacts at Smith that have anything to do with that little book. I'll assure you, if there is any changes to bevel dia's on Rotary Shouldered Connections, there are two companies out there that control this stuff besides API. Yes, Schlumberg/Smith/Drilco is one of them, Grant Prideco is the other, yes, they will intergrate them in their latest releases when available. I think the bevel dia's were changed back in 2004, but again, thats not my expertize. My family just provides cold rolling equipment for rolling the threads on rotary shouldered connections.

Ken
    You need to also look at the TH Hill DS-1 Volume 3 as they also have bevel diameters that are not the same as API.
    Regards
    Malcolm

cc1309 is offline Plastic

Default Drilco book

If anyone has a copy or know where I can get a copy that shows 2-3/8" CS and PH-6 and smaller, I would pay for a copy of the book.

I called Smith and was told they can't sell the books because of the changes this year. The book has yet to be updated to reflect the changes.

4GSR is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by cc1309 View Post
    If anyone has a copy or know where I can get a copy that shows 2-3/8" CS and PH-6 and smaller, I would pay for a copy of the book.

Send me your name and who you work for as well as your email address in a PM and I'll fix you up!

Ken

Tony Wells is offline Banned

I do have one of those little gray books, but I still require my customers to supply me thread drawings as part of the spec package when quoting/running a job. Some have been known to make small, but significant changes to the standard connections that will result in an NCR and the accompanying hassle if not caught. They generally have no problem complying with this, and eventually, you will have a set of most of all the common connections, and all of the specials that the customers request.
    4GSR likes this.

4GSR is offline Titanium

Tony,

You bring up a good point there.

If your not licensed to cut the original Hydril "CS" "PH6" by Hydril or Licensed by Grant Prideco or Weatherford to cut theirs, there's no guarantee they will make up and "seal" as intended in design.
    And there's no guarantee that between manufactures they will interchange with each other neither.
    With the liability issues that exists today among oil companies and oil service companies, I would not want a "boot legged" thread cut on anything going down hole expecting it to hold 15,000 psi in my possession! It's not worth the chance to take.

Not too far from me, there was a fire that burned up a work over rig and hot oil truck plus put several people in the hospital with severe burns, luckily no one was killed. Safety equipment prevented it from being much worst. If that safety equipment was "boot leg" could have been a very bad disaster!

Ken

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast