What's new
What's new

morse taper endmills

mark ct

Hot Rolled
i have a few morse taper shank endmills, like 1.250 dia with a mt 2 shank, i have always been affraid to use them tho cause i dont get how ya are supposed to keep them in the spindle, i see some on ebay from time to time also, but they all have a drive tang rather than a tapped end for a drawbar, how do ya make sure these dont come loose, i have had endmills walk outa collets before so i just cant picture a morse taper would hold an end mill without a drawbar, am i overly worried here. anyone used them before?

Never used them, but wondered the same thing. Let's bump it up where it can be seen again.

Yep, I've used them. You're right in that the taper won't hold them. Don't run them without a drawbar, or they will walk. Cut off the tang, drill and tap to suit your drawbar.

If the cutter has centers in it for resharpening purposes, the simplest thing to do is to put it between centers and turn the shank to a straight shank.

I think they are made for jig borers and jig borers have morse taper collets that close tightly on the taper. Also I think they are mostly for reaming holes and not milling from the side so there is always upward pressure on them.

At least one of my shop texts has a picture of a couple of them, and calls them "end mills".

Spot facers are shown and talked about elsewhere in the book. Clearly they know what those are too, and consider them different.

Spot facers - not the same as end mills in function or appearance. No side cutting capability is required, the primary function is to produce a round, flat surface (usually on a casting or forging) for fasteners. Sort of like a large diameter counterbore ...

I have had MT tapers with drive tangs drop out of drill press spindles before, so I certainly would not use a such a cutter in a mill.-Jerald

Back