What's new
What's new

Transformer Selection Advise

JohnnyJohnsoninWI

Hot Rolled
Hello Everyone,
I need a 3 phase transformer to step up from 240V to 480V for use with a Monarch series 50 lathe and a Cincinnati horizontal mill. The lathe has a 10 hp dc motor which requires (480V-only) AC 3-p input power. The mill has 7.5 hp and 3hp dual voltage motors. I figure as long as I need to use the transformer for the lathe, I might as well use it for the mill too, rather than changing out all the motor heaters, etc.

It seams that a 15KVA copper wound multi tap autotranformer would be a good choice. I can get a new Rex for about $700. My 3-P power is generated by a Phase Perfect model A10 DPC. Do you have any suggestions? Is the size appropriate? Anyone have experience with Rex? Are you aware of any compatibility issues with a DPC and transformers?

Some catalogs list transformer voltages as 208Y, for example. I assume this is to differentiate between wye and delta wound transfomers, but all this does is confuse me. I don't know what kind of winding any of my motors have in them, so how do I determine whether I need a "Y" transfomer or not? Have you guessed yet, that I'm not an electrical engineer?

Finally, are you aware of any reputable shops who deal with used tranformers in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area?

Thanks for your help. I don't post very much, (haven't even earned a "rusty scrap iron" rating yet) but do visit here frequently and I've learned so much already.

John

Back