What's new
What's new

OT- Class 6 truck insurance costs ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone here have now, or have had in the recent past, a truck in the range of 26,000 lb GVW straight truck and knows your insurance costs ? I know the liability is the major cost factor in trucks once you get beyond about 12,000 GVW. So, bottom line, just wondering what typical monthly rates would be for a vehicle of about 25,000 GVW that's worth about $15,000 (assuming no points on record, middle aged driver, etc) ?

I had a Freighliner years ago in that range, but darned if I can remember what the insurance cost back then.

I have a dump truck with 26,000 gvr tags and I believe the insurance milage is 500 mile radius. Is $351 at pogressive for liability. The larger the radius the more money. also mine is not for hire so that makes it lower. I only use it for my personal hauling.

Sorry to hijack this thread so early, but that brings up another question -- I see some fairly large box trucks with "Not For Hire" signs on their doors -- what does that buy them?

I contacted Progressive today and the quote for 500 mile radius, Class 6 box truck with bare minimum liability and $17,000 collison (with $250 deductable) was only $92 a month ! With $500,000 liability it runs up to $150 a month. This seems too good to be true, but she faxed it in writing.

Hell, my cars are that much with Allstate...is that Progressive rate possible or did she screw up ?

Usage is listed as "wholesale trade" and "durable goods"...maybe that's much cheaper than "dump truck" usage ? Still sounds too good to be true.. :confused:

For me, heavy trucks are much cheaper than autos. Heavy trucks are usually driven by better drivers, and aren't driven aggressively. I think the much better view of the road helps also. Class 8s are $114/year, and class 6s are $97, liability only.

My insurance company even cuts the collision rate portion in half for pickups that have flatbeds.

Heavy trucks are usually driven by better drivers, and aren't driven aggressively. I think the much better view of the road helps also. Class 8s are $114/year, and class 6s are $97, liability only.
I agree about your assessment, but I was under the impression from previous talks with Allstate and The Harford folks years ago, that the problem is the extreme damage a big truck can do when it does collide with autos and the greater tendency of folks to sue a business related vehicle owner. That was their excuse for such high rates anyway...but maybe they just were not in that sort of insurance business and charged accordingly ?

I sure hope this Progressive quote is on the level as insurance costs is one of the main reasons I've avoided buying trucks larger than Class 4 in the past.

about 2 years ago when i had my ford L600 dumping flatbed on the road it was 350 bucks every 6 months for liability only, and that was with me being only 20 or 21 years old. seemed pretty reasonable to me, i do remember the insurance girl telling me tho that it would be cheaper listing it as a flatbed than as a dumptruck, she said either way isnt wrong, since it was a flatbed, just happened to dump, but she said as soon as they see dumptruck it goes up a bit.

Dumptrucks may be higher in cost because they have a greater tendency to drop bits of their loads which might damage following cars. Ever have to dodge a big rock on the highway which came from the dump in front of you?

What ae the definitions of the various truck classes? I've never heard of truck classes before.

"that the problem is the extreme damage a big truck can do when it does collide with autos"

I thought so too - that's why motorcycle liability is so low - you won't do much damage to the other guy.

I'd stay away from the bare minimum liability, though, as once that runs out they'll come after you for the rest.

What ae the definitions of the various truck classes? I've never heard of truck classes before
Commercial Light Duty
Class 1 (Gvw 0 - 6000)
Class 2 (Gvw 6001 - 10000)
Class 3 (Gvw 10001 - 14000)

Medium Duty Trucks
Class 4 (Gvw 14001 - 16000)
Class 5 (Gvw 16001 - 19500)
Class 6 (Gvw 19501 - 26000)

Heavy Duty Trucks
Class 7 (Gvw 26001 - 33001)
Class 8 (Gvw 33001 - 150000)

Rather than blindly buy another bigger truck, a week ago I called Progressive to find out how much MORE it would cost if I got a heavier truck. Right now I have a Freightliner with a 26K GVW and it costs around $720 every six months. Increasing my weight limit to 50K only raises the insurances to around $800. Just in case I decide to go full Class 8 with a tractor and trailer, Progressive quoted around $1100.00 every six months. By the way, my liability policy is for a million. I think I've got something in my policy that allows me to drive my truck futher than 350 to 500 mile radius. My first trip was 5000 miles and the second was 6000 miles!

WHO insures a CLASS 8 truck for $114.00 a year???
I can't imagine any insurance company taking on the risk for that little money. I see some of the rates some guys say they are paying and they're shockingly cheap!! I pay more for that for any one of my cars. I've never heard of ANY insurance for ten dollars a month.

As a recomendation from one tool junkie to another, don't bother getting a non-CDL vehicle. Step up to the plate, get at least your class B license, and get either the 32K truck, or get tandem axles, and you can really haul some LEGAL weight. I'm currently thinking of getting a twin axle truck, preferably with a sleeper. Two years of screwing around, and getting harassed with my 26,000 pound Freightliner, not being able to haul nearly enough weight, I'm done with it. I may get a real Class 8 tractor and convert it to a flatbed. It seems absurd to drive any distance, and only legally be able to haul an 11,000 pound payload. I've bought seven machines recently, that I am waiting to get a bigger truck so I can haul them myself. None of them are light enough to haul in my Freightliner. The one thing I haven't checked into yet is the licensing and fuel tax. I'm pretty sure once you get over 26,000 pounds, it's the license, and IFTA certificate, that's gonna eat you up. I'll be finding out soon enough.

Brian, look into outfitting your desired truck as a motorhome. I think all it takes is a water supply. If you buy your machines in your personal name, as well as register the truck as personal, you can get by as hauling personal household goods. The insurance on motorhomes is much cheaper. That is why you see most racers pull their trailers with motorhomes. This trick might work much better with a box truck, rather than a flatbed.

As for the cheap insurance, well I gotta confess, I'm using farm tags. The tag is cheaper also. There is a 7500 mile annual limit, and the tag is about $650, as opposed to $1300 for a standard semi. There is a low mileage exemption available of 5,000 miles for non-farm trucks also.

The last quote I received for commercial insurance for a semi was about $3600/year. At that price, I won't be starting a trucking company anytime soon.

gbent- If you get caught in the great state of IOWA hauling a few machine tools home with your Kansas farm tags, they're gonna make your life so miserable, you'll never leave home again.

I'm not trying to sneak around, I want to be LEGAL and not be in a position, where some gun toting A**hole takes me out of service for ten hours in some weigh station in the middle of no where, fines me some outrageous amount of money, and plainly takes a delight in torturing taxpayers. I hate the system and the only real way to win, is just be completely legal. I'd rather have TOO much truck rather than too little. Buying a 26,000 pound truck seemed like a good idea, two years ago, but it caused more grief than it was worth. I should've bought a MUCH bigger truck, and gotten my CDL right off the bat. It's pretty hard to convince a weighmaster, when you're hauling ten to fifty thousand pound machines, that you're just a hobby-homeowner, working out in your garage.

I had an International 26,000 pound dump, and paid $900 a year with nationwide insurance, Full coverage, I think it was a 300,000 limit for liability. I was only 20 yrs old at the time.
It was much cheaper than I thought.
Registration was about $400 a year, and 2 times a year for inspection. It wasnt cheap to own, but not that bad either.

Re: Iowa. Been there, done that, still got scars. One of the best investments you can make is a professional truckers road atlas. They show all the weigh stations. I like to stay off the super slab and enjoy the scenery, and it makes planning easier.

Re: Iowa. Been there, done that, still got scars. One of the best investments you can make is a professional truckers road atlas. They show all the weigh stations. I like to stay off the super slab and enjoy the scenery, and it makes planning easier.
Ill do JUST that!!

any new experiences on this issue? Im heading down this road now although with class 8.

All GPS now,books are relics of the past.....your GPS and smartphone should show mobile traps too,after the first pinch.You will also find a lot of compliance stuff online,so no need to guess .

Back