Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Duct Taper is offline Senior Member

This is interesting. I didn't know that cigar smokers were that affected by cigars too. I am a non-smoker, just never saw a reason to start. But when someone lights up a cigar or pipe anywhere near me I start to get the same symptoms of nausea and dogdookie even if I can't see that someone is smoking and I have to leave the area.

Now is that fair to me? No. Also it is interesting that otherwise normally mannered people will absently throw their butts wherever they happen to fall. They aren't sloppy with other things but only with butts. Strange.

And when I come across someone like RAS who says:
    I'm too old to give a flying F**k weather you like my smoking, or not. Go stand outside.
    my reply is "I'm too old to get in a fight, but if you don't get out of my space I am going to shove that piece of xxxx down your throat anyway!" And I will.

Ferrous Antiquos is offline Titanium

Well, thanks Don, at least you only chew. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As a non-indulger, I guess I'll never understand the enjoyment that tobacco afficionados get from their habit. But burying my Uncle Dave a few weeks ago after a 2-year battle with lung cancer and emphysema was enough of a convincing argument for me. Had he stopped smoking back in the early 70's when all the warnings came out, he might have enjoyed his family, grand-kids, golf, friends, retirement, etc, beyond age 67. Ditto for his sister, same fate at age 61. And no, we're not necessarily predisposed to cancer: Grandpa lived to 78 and Grandma to 100. How ironic (maybe moronic?) to have watched Uncle Dave and his wife continuing to puff away furiously, during and after lengthy, expensive and ultimately pointless chemo and radiation treatments. Sigh.

Re: Littering. Somebody please tell me that if smokers enjoy cigarettes so much, why do they need to empty their car ashtrays at stoplights???

Re: smoking in public, I occasionally play sax in a horn-rock band. Nothing like coming home from a gig reeking like a stale ashtray. Yuck. :mad:

And RAS: I've read a lot of your posts, and was so far impressed with your ability to refrain from prosletizing (sp?) and posting overly zealous religious views here on the forum. But your comment about not giving a flying you-know-what about other's feelings and well-being, leaves me kind of cold. I think I'd rather roast in Hell with my friends, than to share an afterlife with you and yours.

morsetaper2 is offline Titanium

"The only thing worse than a born again Christian, is a born again non-smoker... <snip>...Thank you for not smoking where I breathe"... <snip>...Thank YOU for holding your breath while I smoke... <snip>...I'm too old to give a flying F**k weather you like my smoking, or not. Go stand outside..." RAS
    It doesn't bother me one bit if people smoke. My complaints regarding smokers is they throw their butts wherever they feel like it (I noted you said you don't). And the cost of smoking related maladies that is passed on to be borne by the public.

Where I live you cannot smoke indoors in public workplaceplaces. Smokers by and large anymore are in the minority. I generally avoid places like bars & concert halls where smokers congregate. I don't care for the stench that permeates your clothing so I generally don't frequent those places.

Seeing smokers smoke is Darwin in action at his finest. But everyone has a right to pursue what they want as long as it doesn't impinge onto others.

The issue of butt-flicking, and the cost to society of smoking related health issues is my only gripe about smokers. My personal opinion is the tax on cigarettes needs to be much higher to offset the cost of smoking thats is passed onto society as a whole.

Mark

jfsmith Guest

O.K. now that we have gone to the butts, how about pipe smokers? I still have my pipes from when I smoked them in the Army back in the 60s and 70s. Had this tobacco, known as Rotten Richard and it was good.

Now there seem to be smoking bans everywhere, I never littered and this is my choice.

Jerry

johnoder is offline Diamond

Speaking of litter:

You should all try living for a spell in Houston, where it seems it is perfectly alright to throw anything and everything out the car window.

I guess that was the norm in the place of origin for these folks.

Before I can mow the shop front. I have to take the trash can out there and do a pick up job.

John

RAS
    RAS is offline Stainless

And when I come across someone like RAS who says:

quote:I'm too old to give a flying F**k weather you like my smoking, or not. Go stand outside.

my reply is "I'm too old to get in a fight, but if you don't get out of my space I am going to shove that piece of xxxx down your throat anyway!" And I will.
    Oy vey. You are "too old to get in a fight", but you will? My friend, do you understand the concept of a joke? Smoking is pretty much banned in every public place, these days; those of us who still practice this nasty habit are pariahs. I was turning the tables.

Seeing smokers smoke is Darwin in action at his finest.
    Ha. Funny joke, but I take umbrage at your inferration. In effect, you are stating that smokers are so stupid that they deserve to be removed from the gene pool. Other than the bad habit of smoking, I have been told that I am a very intelligent individual. I have been in the machining trade for close to 30 years, I build/troubleshoot computers for a hobby, and I have enough 'life experience' to put many 'young pups' to shame.
    Btw, Darwin doesn't have a damn thing to do with whether smokers die, or not; God does.

RAS

Mac
    Mac is offline Aluminum

Smoking and nose picking are similar. The person doing it enjoys it, but everybody else hates it.

Duct Taper is offline Senior Member

Oy vey. You are "too old to get in a fight", but you will? My friend, do you understand the concept of a joke? Smoking is pretty much banned in every public place, these days; those of us who still practice this nasty habit are pariahs. I was turning the tables.
    RAS, if you meant that as a joke, maybe you should come with an instruction book so we can understand you. There was no indication that it was a joke, but now I get it. haha

toolmakerjim is offline Titanium

with the exception of a few Coban Crooks soaked in rum, the only thing i ever smoked was pot.
    you dont want anyone smelling pot they'll come on the run wanting to share.
    the old saying is "A friend with weed is a friend indeed"
    although i encourage the use of tobacco, keeps my relatives in Kentucky, off welfare. it does seem to have its drawbacks.
    but im going to honest with you guys.
    walking through a tobacco barn in November is one of the most delightful aromatic experiences you can imagine.
    cured out burley is exquisite.
    although it doesnt compare to the sweet fragrance of sinsemmla...jim

jim rozen is offline Diamond

"it doesn't bother me one bit if people smoke. My complaints regarding smokers is they throw their butts wherever they feel like it ..."

Funny how that works. I've never ever met a
    single smoker who says "sure I toss the refuse
    wherever I feel like it. Why shouldn't I
    empty my car ashtray out the door?"

But there you are, seeing all the junk on the
    road and the sidewalks. So it must be falling
    from the sky, like manna from heaven. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nobody puts it there.

Jim

spope14 is offline Stainless

Only once did I get the heebies from a cigar, it was something I did not buy - some new brand. Only smoke what you know. I tend to lead to Sancha Panza or Partagas.

Pot smoking? I teach public school. Too many little kids lost due to this stuff. Pot today is not at all what it was in the "good old 60's and 70's". It is cut with too many big time quick addicting drugs now to be a recreational drug. Seems the dealers and organized crime learned something from the cigarette makers - additives keep the money coming in!. Dealers who sell to kids are the absolute lowest lowlife dirtbag worm dung eating skunk whiz scum of the lowest scum.

The key to smoking cigars - do in very low moderation, do not throw the butts everywhere, and do not skoke cigarettes (these are tools to lead to adiction). Also, take a couple of showers before going bak into public, and have a bottle of listerene on hand for two days after.

toolmakerjim is offline Titanium

i didnt advocate pot smoking for kids, never will.
    however i do advocate the concept for a 12 step program for all students in school.
    not that all are addicts or alcholics or even a large percentage.
    but it will teach and reinforce the fact that they have control of their lives and very little else.
    from what i understand the pot here in Florida and in Kentucky is still your plain ordinary pot no chemicals added...jim

hammerhead74000 is offline Senior Member

Look - this is an environmental issue. When you smoke, you are emitting air pollution - and quite a bit of it in the local area that you are standing in. It's enough to cause asthma attacks in some people. As far as I'm concerned you can eat the stuff, grind it up and shoot it up in a needle, or make decorative hairpieces out of it - I don't care; it's your body, if you want to abuse it, who am I to say no? It's no different then many "extreme" sports that way - sooner or later, if you keep it up long enough, you are gonna' get hurt - or die. Is that stupid? Perhaps. I suppose it depends on your values - do you want to live a long life, without the stimulation of such activities, or do you want to live a shorter one, possibly with a very unpleasant end, but with the aforementioned activities?

Just don't subject me to your pollution!

P.s. Do not think that just because your particular form of tobacco use is smokeless that it's harmless - chewing tobacco has contact carcinogenic properties as well, and does increase your body's systematic carcinogen load.

Well, I gotta go now - I think I hear a Big Mac & Fries callin' my name... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

jburstein is offline Hot Rolled

Yeah, it's definitely air pollution. Every time I walk by someone with a cigarrette I hack up a lung, and can't breathe for about 20 minutes. It really annoys me.

There was one guy, back in high school, who thought it would be ok to light up a cigarrette in the shop. The teacher wasn't there at the time, so I just fetched on of the expired C02 fire extinguishers and hit him with a blast in the face. I wish I could to that to more people.

I really think a couple cigarrettes in every pack should have some sort of explosive charge halfway down. That'd be some strong conditioning for smokers, a couple of explosions in your face per day would deter you from being so stupid.

-Justin

RAS
    RAS is offline Stainless

RAS, if you meant that as a joke, maybe you should come with an instruction book so we can understand you. There was no indication that it was a joke, but now I get it. haha
    Ho ho, that's what my ex-wife said. She was also obtuse, to the point that she couldn't understand the humor in sarcasm (the lowest form of humor). There you go; I admit to being a bottom feeder, when it comes to humor... make of it what you will; my skills in machining wil always make up for the fact that I'm not Robin Williams.
    There was one guy, back in high school, who thought it would be ok to light up a cigarrette in the shop. The teacher wasn't there at the time, so I just fetched on of the expired C02 fire extinguishers and hit him with a blast in the face. I wish I could to that to more people.
    Gee, so only your 'rights' matter? Grow up, sonny.

RAS

ray french is offline Titanium

I knew this thread was going to start a frackus when I read the first few posts.I want everyone out there to think and remember one thing.During WWII probably 75% of the folks that built war products smoked.Also during that time our dear government made damn sure the G.I.'s overseas had smokes.It is also the taxes from smokers that fuels part of the structure of this country and the taxes on smokes have risen exponentially since the states and the federal government decided it was a bad thing.Now we have a bunch of inconsiderate goody-two-shoes on this site who've found yet another group to pick on.This,IMHO,is absolutely disgusting.Should people smoke?Of course not.Should our government kill Iraqi's over WMD that weren't there?OF course not.Should we pick on every group of people that don't live as we'd like them to?Some of the folks here are the very essence of what is wrong in this country and IT SHOWS.It makes me want to involve myself in a personal protein spill.

plm
    plm is offline Aluminum

Smoking Stories. . .

Was at a ball game a few years back in Denver when the Phillies were in town. They had a smoking first baseman; I think his name was John Strunk. Anyway, he scored the winning run and, as he crossed the plate, he basically collapsed. After the game he was being interviewed and was asked: ‘Doesn’t smoking and being an athlete bother you, especially when playing in high altitude like here in Denver?’. His response: ‘I ain’t no athlete, I’m a ballplayer’. Cracked me up – sounded like something the Babe would have said. . .

Down the rode in “The Republic of Boulder” smoking is totally socially unacceptable. I think I even read where there is an ordinance in the works against smoking on your own back porch. So if one were light up a cigarette in the back of their house they could get fined yet, if it was a joint it would be cause for an instantaneous block party. . .

I volunteer for sight-in at our gun club every year when we open it up to the public during hunting season. During muzzle loading season the line is basically filled with a heavy plume of black powder smoke. It never fails, someone will light up a smoke and someone will complain. . .

One year I was entertaining some Brit’s that were over here in the US on business. One of them lighted up and, before I could say anything, a bystander was already in his face scolding him. He turned to me and said: ‘I just don’t understand you bloody yanks, I can’t smoke a cigarette where I want yet, you let everyone here run loose with firearms. . .

This ought to be a good thread; it sure is getting off to a good start - maybe as good as the “metric thread” with conspiracy theories.

plm

jburstein is offline Hot Rolled

When the right in question is my right to breathe, yes, I consider that more important that the other fellow's right to poison himself. Sorry, that's the way a I feel.

-Justin

[ 04-02-2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: jburstein ]

speedy is offline Cast Iron

<RANT>
    "The only thing worse than a born again Christian, is a born again non-smoker." Yeah, I know, not politically correct, but, guess what? I'm too old to give a flying F**k weather you like my smoking, or not. Go stand outside. </RANT>
    RAS
    Ras, go on and admit it, you are an addict to the cigarette; your health is heavily mortgaged to the tobbacco industry. . But you can convert to the other side my brother, come on over and repent your evil habit, stub out that butt and rejoice!! Believe me there is hope for the unbelievers; but maybe you are just too tough to change and that is your choice [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Suck, cough, wheeze, choke,phlegm,stained teeth, stinking clothes,taste buds don't function right, shortness of breath,etc,etc....
    Yes smoking is an option (addiction ) we should all consider adopting.
    not.

cheers, Ken

ray french is offline Titanium

Why don't all you good,clean,devout,righteous people make up a list of who you'll pick on next.Just when I thought we had gotten rid of the Ray French's a whole mob of you pop up.He who is without sin cast the first stone,please.Do you honestly think the air you breath is clean.If you do then you are a moron.Yes you have a right to breath clean air but you lost that right way back in the 40's with the invention of the nuclear bomb and all of it's subsquent testing.Geez,what a bunch of.........If all the people on this planet took up smoking tomorrow they couldn't possibly polute the air as much as the government has already allowed and done.This little rock we call planet earth will eventually get rid of us all because we humans are nothing more than a virus.Is it so hard to just get along with people?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast