What's new
What's new

Mazak manual lathe having trouble "getting up to speed"

00dan

Plastic
We have a small machine shop near our house, with 4 mazak manual lathes... One of them, a Mazak 18, takes a while for the chuck to get spinning at faster RPM'S - by that i mean it increases rpm gradually until it reaches the desired speed. Also, the lathe bogs down when taking cuts larger than .050" --- Can anyone help me figure out how to remedy this? Please Help!

Sounds like the drive clutch is slipping. That's usually an easy adjustment inside the headstock - do they have a manual for it?

most clutches ive seen are directly inline with the drive system adjust a hole per increment at a time until good service is delivered.

just get in there and look for a unit the has several clutch plates close to the drive system then perform maintenece.

stalling at .050" DOC is unacceptable...jim

Clutches indeed. Our DSG was doing that. It might say on the cover somewhere what gap is required, if not then its in the manual.

Hi All,
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. This Machine is a later model and doesn't have clutches. Most newer machine , I believe, don't have clutches. This is the wiedest thing. I have checked everything I can think of. The drive is also rigid and is not giving up. I used a mechanical advantage to prove that. But I dod look into it. There is some kind of an adjustment knob with a reset button on the side. The settings are 0, 25 or 35. I'm not for sure what this thing does.

00dan

Well if it doesn't have a clutch and that everything mechanical looks fine. Check how much amperage the motor is using at start up and while running.

check the softstart arrangement that is installed on the motor.It limits in rush and hense the speed at which the motor accelerates.Not sure how to adjust it as mine is working fine.

Thanks, I will check the amperage and let you know what I come up with. Thanks SND
I don't think this lathe has a soft start. I have four Mazaks and I know that two of them do have it.I also use to have two Kingston lathes (great machines, closest to Mazak) and they had soft starts. I had a maintenance guy and an eletritian say that it isn't soft start. The electritian says that because it only has forward and reverse contacts, it doesn't soft start.

Thanks to All ya'll for your help. Don't give up on me yet.

00dan

Back