What's new
What's new

OT... High Voltage power lines

2LMKR

Aluminum
Hi guys, I had a question regarding high voltage power lines and living in close proximity to them. I have heard that it is "bad" to live close to them for they can cause health related problems to people and may even cause cancer. Does anyone know if this is true or and urban myth? And if it is true, then why are houses being built very close to them? There is a new sub-division where I live and the lines are within 100ft of the backyards. The homes are over 2500 sq/ft and start in the mid 300,000's it is a very nice neighbourhood but are those lines a potential disaster? :eek: :eek: :confused:

Hi guys, I had a question regarding high voltage power lines and living in close proximity to them. I have heard that it is "bad" to live close to them for they can cause health related problems to people and may even cause cancer. Does anyone know if this is true or and urban myth? And if it is true, then why are houses being built very close to them? There is a new sub-division where I live and the lines are within 100ft of the backyards. The homes are over 2500 sq/ft and start in the mid 300,000's it is a very nice neighbourhood but are those lines a potential disaster? :eek: :eek: :confused:

My wife was involved with the review of studies done on this by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences several years ago. No studies have shown a conclusive link between fields produced by high voltage lines and cancer. Complete myth.

Steve.

My wife was involved with the review of studies done on this by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences several years ago. No studies have shown a conclusive link between fields produced by high voltage lines and cancer. Complete myth.

Steve.

The electrical field produced by even high tension lines is a lot less than the field produced by an electric blanket and I am not aware of any study associating electric blankets with cancer.

The electrical field produced by even high tension lines is a lot less than the field produced by an electric blanket and I am not aware of any study associating electric blankets with cancer.

The trouble with studies about high tension lines
is, it's nearly impossible to extract any
data because of the confusion between the
effects of the electromagnetic fields, and the
effects of the socio-economic issues.

IOW the other issues pretty well swamp out
any correlation between disease and fields.

By the time you are done correcting for income
and behaviors, you cannot see anything left over
that the fields would account for.

Jim

The trouble with studies about high tension lines
is, it's nearly impossible to extract any
data because of the confusion between the
effects of the electromagnetic fields, and the
effects of the socio-economic issues.

IOW the other issues pretty well swamp out
any correlation between disease and fields.

By the time you are done correcting for income
and behaviors, you cannot see anything left over
that the fields would account for.

Jim

A recent study in this country did not indicate any hazard from nearby overhead high voltage lines. Mobile phones are being investigated but no conclusions yet, methinks there may well be a danger here. I seem to recall a recent scandal: Some military radar operators had brain tumors (oldish american radar vehicles). I would suspect the closer you get to high field strength and maybe certain high frequencies, the greater the danger. We haven't yet got to the point where we use prison inmates for testing - as far as I know - so these studies take a long time.
Personally, I believe the HV O/H danger is nothing but an urban myth, but still wouldn't like to have a line in my back yard :eek: (danish socket outlet)

A recent study in this country did not indicate any hazard from nearby overhead high voltage lines. Mobile phones are being investigated but no conclusions yet, methinks there may well be a danger here. I seem to recall a recent scandal: Some military radar operators had brain tumors (oldish american radar vehicles). I would suspect the closer you get to high field strength and maybe certain high frequencies, the greater the danger. We haven't yet got to the point where we use prison inmates for testing - as far as I know - so these studies take a long time.
Personally, I believe the HV O/H danger is nothing but an urban myth, but still wouldn't like to have a line in my back yard :eek: (danish socket outlet)

Not only that.... I made a list once of all the chemical and other environmental issues that could come up with a HV or local distribution line.....

There was a reasonably long list.

Among the items were:

Old asbestos insulation shredding off wires.

Creosote from old poles

Disturbance of possible polluted ground from setting poles etc.

Electrochemical effects on ambient pollution from the high electric field on HV power lines.

There were a number of others. Not one of them addressed the direct effect of electric or magnetic fields.

However, it isn't impossible.... We have internal electric fields, and are really electrical beings.

So an external field electric or magnetic COULD possibly have an effect..... particularly if varying.

Not only that.... I made a list once of all the chemical and other environmental issues that could come up with a HV or local distribution line.....

There was a reasonably long list.

Among the items were:

Old asbestos insulation shredding off wires.

Creosote from old poles

Disturbance of possible polluted ground from setting poles etc.

Electrochemical effects on ambient pollution from the high electric field on HV power lines.

There were a number of others. Not one of them addressed the direct effect of electric or magnetic fields.

However, it isn't impossible.... We have internal electric fields, and are really electrical beings.

So an external field electric or magnetic COULD possibly have an effect..... particularly if varying.

Many years ago somebody did a study on cattle corraled under high tension lines vs. those that were not and the only thing I remember was the cattle under the wires consistently had slower weight gain than the other groups. Don't remember any health issues. Most health issues related to electricity with confined livestock has to do with stray voltage.

Many years ago somebody did a study on cattle corraled under high tension lines vs. those that were not and the only thing I remember was the cattle under the wires consistently had slower weight gain than the other groups. Don't remember any health issues. Most health issues related to electricity with confined livestock has to do with stray voltage.

Some years ago a farmer in central arkansas sued the power company because (he claimed) the radiation from the power lines (supplied from a nuclear plant) killed his fruit trees. He lost. Verdict, after expert testimony, was that old age killed them.

The fields in your house, car, and typical workplace are usually stronger than those the HV lines expose you to.

Some company on the net is offering magnets to create a field which (they claim) will enable a person to live forever. (Unless a truck or something gets him).

Some years ago a farmer in central arkansas sued the power company because (he claimed) the radiation from the power lines (supplied from a nuclear plant) killed his fruit trees. He lost. Verdict, after expert testimony, was that old age killed them.

The fields in your house, car, and typical workplace are usually stronger than those the HV lines expose you to.

Some company on the net is offering magnets to create a field which (they claim) will enable a person to live forever. (Unless a truck or something gets him).

Back