What's new
What's new

hydraulic elevator???

Tbirdranch

Plastic
I want to put an elevator in my building to go upstairs. the building is a 20 year old barn, very good condition

I am thinking of using an old forklift mechansim as the lift. the hydraulic and rails, mounting them to the floor and support it real well. Then build a platform and sides where the forks are. I would cut a hole in the ceiling and build a chute from floor to ceiling so that things could not get between the platform and the ceiling to cause injury.

I figure I can use an electrically powered hydraulic pump and control valves to raise and lower the unit.

any thoughts? Anyone done this?

I only want to go from the ground floor to the second floor.

We live upstairs and i also have a warehouse full of car parts upstairs, my shop being downstairs. I am not getting any younger.

It's a good idea but an expensive way to go.

An air powered chain hoist will do the same thing, just cook up your air-logic controls (which you have to do anyway).

There's a long thread somewhere here about the same subject.

A friend of mine built just such a beast. I think he used a 1/2 hp 220 1 ph motor. He made a pit so the forks with a pallet on it would sit flush with the floor. It is a nice unit. Pump is quiet and only needs to run when going up

I used to work on a similar unit in an old produce warehouse. It worked well, the support on the Hydraulics ram needed to be reinforced once. I think it had been overloaded.

If it is to carry people, it almost certainly has to comply with at least the ASME elevator code. This code also covers dumbwaiters and hoists as well.

If you are going to carry people, it is a very good idea to follow that safety code.

Thermo1

More on what I was saying...with the hoist from overhead, the load can be lifted more or less above the center of mass. Guide channels and rollers are strongly encouraged to prevent an off-center load from tipping the platform.

The forklift mast, since it's lifting a cantilevered load, needs some resistance against tipping over. Normally that's the multi-thousand pound machine and counterweight and a simple gravity balance about the front tires. But, somehow the standalone mast will have to be fixed vertically in a manner to make it resistant to tipping over at full load (plus some extra "design factor").

a simple and cheap way to do this is to start with a stradle lift, you can get various capacities and lift heights and they go cheap used because everyone hates using them. I know someone who built several handycap lifts with them and they worked great but I am sure not kosher for person lifts. BTW, we considered doing just this at my Father's old building between the first floor and basement to save time going to the elevator for skids only, it got a bit complicated when the safety devices got figured in so we ended up with a shoot for cartons instead, easy going down, used the elevator for going up.

I work on Navy ships, the old LPH class (Helo carriers, about size of WWII carriers) had exactly what you are proposing for a litter lift from hanger deck to Medical spaces in aft hangar bay. We played hell trying to find parts for it untill we realized it was a forklift and got the local forklift place involved, they had parts in stock!
Steve

You might try to find a used "order picker" (stock picker) type lift, such as eBay Item number: 180069606287 ($2,500.)

They are intended to lift the operator.

I agree with thermo. If you are using it to lift people, it should be people rated. If nothing else, to protect you not only from possable injury or death, but liability as well.

doing this with a forklift rack has to be 10 times the work
as doing it with a chain fall
and with a 200 doller plc and a hand full of prox swithes a chain hoist could be made quite safe

Here is an idea for getting down....its the 'deluxe' version with two chutes so you can head off in either direction.

I took this photo in a flour mill, I was itching to give it a try - probably a rough ride

mill02.jpg

Peter, I used to ride one of those as a child. My Dad kept the books and did the taxes for a dry cleaner and laundry...this was when laundry was folded and wrapped in heavy paper. Great fun!

As for the lift or elevator, why not a scissors lift for the starting point?

Hey they don't grow flours in NZ, do they? I understand that white dusty stuff can be quite a fire hazard.

On reading the offerings above it occurred to me that there is an opportunity here to make quite a statement on the advancement of society due to mechanical engineering.

For instance were you aware that reticulated water was the power source in driving early lifts. Water was available before domestic electricity.

The early machine tool builders including Sir Joseph Whitworth had upper level machine fitout workshops serviced with lifts to move equipment between floors.

Research may reveal designs for these devices and are likely to be much safer than a chain-driven mechanism, also capable of much greater loads if lifting at all corners or two sides at midpoint.

My failing memory suggests many were in use in the New England area.

I have 2 salvaged Linde/Baker L12's (elec. pallet stacker/walk behind pallet jacks). I had planned on making a wheelchair lift for my grandmother but she no longer needs one. According to the cylinder specs it will reach up to 161" high. I planned on buying a transformer to convert from 24 volt DC to AC current. I believe they would've served me well for the project. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep them or not. People Elevator codes are tough!!!

Two great suggestions above, both already rated as personel lifts. Scissor lift and part picker.

Of the two, the part picker could simply be rolled into place and used as is, permanently plugged into a charger or retrofitted with an AC pump.

The scissor lift would require an approximately 4' deep pit + maintenance access all around, to have platform arrive at first floor level. All that effort could be justified if there is need for a large platform. In that case, I'd buy an engine powered version for ease of retrofitting with electric AC motor, coupled to the existing pump.

I sympathise with those who have a burning need to start from scratch, ending up with a device that will amaze and spell bind. Me too.

Bob

Back