What's new
What's new

OT- How can I glue my tooth back in ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Was flossing a few hours ago, pulled up in between teeth and damned if a tooth crown didn't pop outta my mouth and into the sink ! It wasn't even loose...had no idea the adhesive had given way...sheesh...

Soooo, should I glue it back with something until I see the dentist on Monday, and if so, what ?? Feels pretty solid since I pushed it back on..might be ok without, but would feel better with "something" in there...I know Crazy Glue is safe to hold skin cuts together...but in the mouth ? Maybe salted watermelon would work ? :eek: :confused:

Asked an old buddy who is a dentist the same question. He said don't do it. No reason was given. He took me to his office and put it back for me.

Dads got a good one on this. Did it just last week. Take two part epoxy, mix and apply to tooth. Let it almost set, like to a jello like form. Reinstall tooth. No problem since. :cool:

I had a friend who glued his dentures. But he must have used the wrong kind of glue. When he got to drinking whiskey it would melt the glue.

Hal

LOL, epoxy eh? Problem is that the glue the dentist uses is built to last twenty years, impervious to liquids, won't promote decay under the crown, and has been tested to be sure there are no long term effects (like cancers) from it's exposure.

I'd let the dentist do it right.

There's a product called Temparin. I've only been able to find it at Walmart, but that shouldn't be horrible. It is essentailly dental bondo, comes in a little vial in putty form. Takes a minute or two to set up, and holds for a couple of days.

It really makes the 'hole' feel better until you can get to see a dentist.

I wouldnt trust glue .. a stainless screw will hold up alot better just be sure to drill a pilot hole and countersink first .... :D

Dont do it, you stand a good chance of traping bacteria or other undisireable things under the crown. Go to a dentist and have it cleaned and installed properly, you will sleep better at night for doing it.

Charles

Don,

Let the dentist glue it. When I had my temp crown put in, the dentist told me if it pops off, rinse mouth and then tooth, and use a dab of toothpaste to hold it in place until you get into the dentist to get it fixed properly.

I've never tried it so you'll have to let us know how it works.

Mark

I second the toothpaste.

BTW...when you have a temporary crown, alcohol dissolves the temporary glue.

My girlfriend found this out the hard way.

Crown popped off four times before dentist told her that beer was a no-no...funny to0, we never drink, it just happened in a period of time when we had quite a few friends parties to go to.

-Jacob

If you can't stand the crown being loose, open the yellow pages, find a dentist that will fix it on Sunday, pay the dentist his due and be done with it. Otherwise take it out before eating or sleeping and live with it for a day or two.

Lenord

My brother had a temporary bridge that fell out, so he super glued it back in. His dentist had a fit about it, told him the super glue kills the
nerve of the tooth, so he would have to do two root canals. To top it off, brother decided to take the edge off his dental visit with a few beers, as in "4" beers. Turns out, alcohol also interferes with the anesthetic action of novocaine, so he sat through his two root canals
and felt everything. His 7pm appointment lasted until almost 11pm, the dentist was not impressed. Don't screw around with your teeth. Anything that hurts that much needs proper attention from a professional, as you can't just through a mistake here into the scrapbox.-JM

you dont have very good luck with teeth do ya don...

maybe your oral surgeon gave them a little rap on accident when he was taking out the wisdom teeth.

you should sue for malpractice...it's the american way!

-Jacob

Isn't it funny how stuff like this usually happens on Friday night.

Relax Don, you are over half way there to Monday morning. Camp out on your dentist's door before he/she opens tomorrow morning and a dental technician will take care of you. (If you don't like the gap, just wad up a piece of well-chewed gum over it.

As for swallowing a crown and letting it pass -- I don't care who well you wash it and how well the dentist sterilizes it, I'd have a hard time not thinking about it. (Like someone telling you not to think about a purple cow -- you're going to think about a purple cow!)

Don: Had same thing happen about 2 years ago. Pushed cap back on and went to dentist that afternoon. I asked him about super glue, got a big NO. Reason being super glue sets up way too fast to get tooth properly positioned, and it will degrade in the human body in about 60 days. If you dont get the cap on right you got to live with it for that long.
Mark

I have been having this problem recently with my older crowns. My dentist told me to get a tube of Fix-O-Dent denture adhesive to use until I cound get in to have him re-cement the offending crown. Just be sure to rinse out the crown and dry it with a Q-Tip first before putting a dab of glue in it, as it will stay in longer that way. I now carry a small tube with me on trips just in case.

Back